Why become a member? ×

Bass Big Muff

spree

Hi,
Ive just ordered one of these, should be with me next week if im lucky!
The reviews ive read for it say that it the best of the 'big muffs' for the bass and terrific value for money however if you already own one of the previous muffs it doesnt show of an improvement/change to warrant buying this one.

It should prove ideal for me though. For example we did a gig last night at Esquires in Bedford supportign Capital and thought it would be a good venue to try out using some distortion on the verse of one of our songs to thicken it up a bit and then go back to my standard bass sound for the bridge and chorus - these are more intricate bass riffs and runs so thicken up the song well anyway, but the verse was so simple it just lost something.
Although it worked really well i was using a Danelectro retro guitar fuzz box and the only way we were able to get enough bass on the fuzz box without ruining the sound when back in standard was to have the engineer wack up the volume each time the dist pedal was on (top marks to emily at esquires for doing this) It worked but obviously not ideal, and something the big muff shoud overcome well from what ive read.

Ill let everyone know what i think once i use it (shoud be next thursday as headlining the luton summer festival that night so a perfect opportunity to try it out before we hit the studio)

[quote name='Mod_Machine' post='262494' date='Aug 14 2008, 03:30 PM'][i]who knows, this could be a green muff reissue after all![/i]

??? excuse my stupidity...but what do you mean?[/quote]

the green russian big muff from the 90's is known to be the best for bass, im hoping that this pedal could be a similar circuit

Ahh....i see.
The limitations i encounter are more likely to be self imposed - im brand new to this whole bass effects thing, as per some of my other threads and originally hoping to get the desired 'thickening up' from my Hartke Bass attack pedal - but unfortunately the distortion you get from that, though warm, is really not enough and because of the fact that each foot switch builds on the last i couldnt switch it on and off without the volume going all over the place.
Like you say at £50 it sounds like good value - and i didnt even pay near that including postage and packaging (i was owed a favour due to a delivery fault by a reputable company - god bless em!) so even i only ever use it for one song live - ill be happy!

I might try one of these out in a shop to see how it compares to my Black Russian Muff. The one I've got now used to work great with my Pedulla (blended with LS-2) but ever since I got my Warwick (which has a much higher output) and boosted my Pedulla's signal to match it, it's been a little more temperamental. So I may try this out in shop to see how it works.

[quote name='Muse_Cubed' post='262979' date='Aug 15 2008, 11:27 AM']I might try one of these out in a shop to see how it compares to my Black Russian Muff. The one I've got now used to work great with my Pedulla (blended with LS-2) but ever since I got my Warwick (which has a much higher output) and boosted my Pedulla's signal to match it, it's been a little more temperamental. So I may try this out in shop to see how it works.[/quote]

i like my black russian too, has a tone i cant easily find with my zoom fuzz, would an impedance buffer solve your problem? think Toasted was building them a while ago

[quote name='BassManKev' post='263523' date='Aug 16 2008, 11:08 AM']no, an impedance buffer wouldn't do anything to make the muff sound better i dont think; rather than boosting your pedulla, have you thought of cutting your warwick?[/quote]

i have an 18V Aguilar pre in my SSI and the output it so high that it overloads the input of all my effects - it somehow causes a drop in volume and distorts the input so even with fuzz and OD effects it sounds terrible. To get around it i just have the volume on the bass set quite low, but this is only when I'm using it with effects, and this works really well. When I'm using it for anything clean then I crank the volume back up to full and it sounds amazing :brow:

[quote name='spree' post='260057' date='Aug 11 2008, 03:37 PM']Anyone had a crack at one of these yet?

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/37699"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flypage/product_id/37699[/url][/quote]

Is there any difference between that and this one?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Electro-Harmonix---Big-Muff-Pi~ID~6148.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~E...-Pi~ID~6148.asp[/url]

[quote name='aceuggy' post='263872' date='Aug 17 2008, 11:18 AM']Is there any difference between that and this one?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Electro-Harmonix---Big-Muff-Pi~ID~6148.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~E...-Pi~ID~6148.asp[/url][/quote]

Yeah – That’s the USA Big Muff PI reissue which has been around for a long time, but the one from dolphin is the brand new Bass Big Muff, so it’s a bass specific version of the Big Muff and brand new for 2008.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='263523' date='Aug 16 2008, 11:08 AM']no, an impedance buffer wouldn't do anything to make the muff sound better i dont think; rather than boosting your pedulla, have you thought of cutting your warwick?[/quote]

Raising the impedance would reduce the loading on Q1 which would make the fuzz more controllable. You can see from looking at the Big Muff Schematic that R1 and C1 sort of do this, but depending on version don't really do it well enough for active basses. I haven't seen inside a Bass Big Muff so I don't know the R1 and C1 values.