Why become a member? ×

Becoming a luthier

Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1420847271' post='2654304']
Some good advice here.
I think im going to stick with doing small repairs for now and possibly see if there is someone local(ish) who does builds i could volunteer my time too.
Also yes a business course would be good to.

But also ive decided against getting any money from my friend. As it doesn't seem right.

I would certainly love to do small scale builds and i love working on guitars and basses. But i think i probably have to work on some other life priorities first. Before starting my own business.
[/quote]

Most businessmen I know started from OPM - other people's momey. They then paid off the starting debt and we're all square, people that have made money can often get pleasure out of supporting someone else to do the same. Why not get a small loan to get some tools, take out some basic business insurance and advertise locally to do set ups at a decent price? You'd be putting your toe in the water at little commitment and can make a better informed decision then.

I was taught in Denmark Street how to do set ups at the tender age of 15, it still amazes me how many people are not willing, or confident enough, to learn the basics, which are not rocket science or even particularly difficult. What I'm saying is, there is money out there to be made via set ups so if you're drawn to doing that then why not give it a go? I get great pleasure of doing them, it sounds like you do too.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1420793097' post='2653386']
This would be a great place to start. I think Jon runs a 3-day build-your-own-bass course which would not only give you a better idea of your abilities but also give you the chance to ask Jon's opinion.
[/quote]
And, of course, you end up with a bass :D
Bit moot if he's not going to be running any this year.

I know three pretty accomplished luthiers and all of them have given up making complete instruments.

Simply not enough money in it because the relative cost of labour compared to machine built instruments was too high.

One of them now has a high end restoration and repair business, another is a classic setup and regular repair man and the third works in a guitar shop.

I think it's really difficult to make any sort of money these days as a bespoke, small volume, builder. Great hobby and a useful string to add to your bow as a setup expert but, as others have said, it's a potentially long road for little, financial, reward :(