Why become a member? ×

Lost My Mojo...

Chaos Daveo

I've played from one band to another now on and off ten years had some excellent times and made great friends along the way.In my last band though I could feel the strain starting on a good friendship and the fun was evaporating for me,so I walked away on good terms.Since then though I really have no desire to play and it sounds a bit pathetic but its really bothering me, so I put it to you bc'ers have you been through this and what's your story??

This is not something that has ever affected me. I have been in some stressful situations with bands but there's no point staying if you're not enjoying it.

If you're inclined to take a sabbatical then do so, you know how you feel. I would suggest you keep hold of the gear because you never know when the bug will return.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1420538527' post='2650320']
This is not something that has ever affected me. I have been in some stressful situations with bands but there's no point staying if you're not enjoying it.

If you're inclined to take a sabbatical then do so, you know how you feel. I would suggest you keep hold of the gear because you never know when the bug will return.
[/quote]

I have an old bass I will be hanging on to just incase :)

You may have no desire to play because of what happened in your last band. I was thinking of taking time off a while back but met a few players who completely changed my outlook and gave me a new lease of musical life entirely, so you never know how things will pan out.

Started playing bass when I was 14 - I turn 50 later this week.

Playing was the most important part of my life for quite a few years, then I stopped gigging because it was more hassle than it was worth.

Got involved in some writing & recording projects but even those I found became a chore very quickly, largely because of the sense of commitment I felt was attached to them. I like playing when I feel like playing, if I have to play when I don't want to I find it becomes a monumental pain in the arse.

I've done the old "buy some new gear & see if that improves your interest" thing but it never does.

I've been trying to persuade myself that in 2015 I will make a conscious effort to get back into playing but I know it's not going to happen because the spark just isn't there for me anymore & hasn't been for a while.

The thing that has really brought this home to me is that I'm am shortly going to be coming into quite a large sum of money, easily enough to buy any bass gear I could possibly ever dreamed of owning. Twenty years ago I would have been incredibly excited by the prospect of this but now I'm just not interested enough to buy so much as a new set of strings, let alone my dream rig.

The fact that I no longer enjoy something that was a massive part of my life does bother me; all my friends are musicians & music is still pretty much all I talk about when I'm with them. I just have no desire whatsoever to do it anymore.

I think what I need to do in 2015, rather than make yet another attempt to rekindle a fire that went out long ago, is simply try to come to terms with the fact that the musician part of my life has well & truly come to an end.

Edited by RhysP

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I completely abandoned all interest in music at the end of the 1990s, after I’d been working as a music journalist and producing dance stuff at home (as a hobby). The journalism turned me into a cynic - “same old bands, same old music” - so I changed career, sold my gear and just stopped making/listening to music.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Ten years on I got the bug again after a pub conversation with an old mate, who mentioned that an old piece of music software I used to love, ReBirth, was available as a mobile App. I bought the App to have a mess around with for nostalgia’s sake. And all of my old passion for music came flooding back! It was very good day and I thank him for it still :)[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]What I’m trying to say is… if you think you need to take a break from music, just do it. And try not to feel guilty about it. Trying to stubbornly push ahead will just make something you love feel like ‘work’ rather than ‘play’, and that’s a guaranteed passion-killer. Have a breather, keep some gear in stock, and chances are you’ll come back to it with gusto in due course.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]If not, there’s always the For Sale section on Basschat :D[/size][/size][/font]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1420550377' post='2650491']
[font=Helvetica][size=3][size=4]Trying to stubbornly push ahead will just make something you love feel like ‘work’ rather than ‘play’, and that’s a guaranteed passion-killer.[/size][/size][/font]
[/quote]

How true. You gotta wanna...

http://youtu.be/R356hwgUN1Y

Yep, took a break from about 91 - 95, didn`t play, or even buy any new music. Then joined a local band, and aside from a brief interlude have been full-steam ahead ever since.

I`d just gotten fed up working with "driven" people who wanted to make it. Music I found out, was, and still is, my hobby. Maybe it was the people I was working with as now I wouldn`t mind doing what I currently do as a job, but back then the thought of that was not what I was in it for - plus it got in the way of my drinking which is probably a much closer to the truth reason.

Most of us reinvent ourselves as we go through life.

I started out as a photographer, worked in a music shop, worked as an electronics engineer, jumped back into retail, moved to telecoms, and then into IT.

My one 'constant' over those 35 years was music, but it could just as easily have been model trains or stamp collecting. :)

Music is an odd one.
Not only is it a potentially expensive hobby for many people, it also needs a degree of discipline, time and artistic input.
As such, there are a lot of points where involvement can falter or fail.

One thing I have noticed is that there are numerous posts in the 'Introductions' forum containing 'I used to play but gave up when...', so it would seem that bassists don't give up, they just take time out. :)

Never been through anything like that. I have been in rock bands since 1965-66 and my spirit and enthusiasm for being in a good band and gigging is at the same high level it was when I was 11 years old.

I pride myself on [i]"knowing how to be in a band" [/i]and carefully picking bands. I am rarely friends or emotionally attached to band members. I think it's why I get along with my band members so well.However, I do help create a positive fun working environment for everyone in the band.

I receive a lot a criticism for this, however I think most guys, particularly older guys would be better off looking at bands as a business. It's not a bad thing and it by no means takes any of the fun out of it. Just the opposite I would say.

I think a lot of guys pick the wrong bands to be in and some of us are looking for the wrong things in bands as well as being in bands for the wrong reasons.

Look for a new thread from me titled [i]"How To Be In A Band"[/i] real soon.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1420562524' post='2650672']
One thing I have noticed is that there are numerous posts in the 'Introductions' forum containing 'I used to play but gave up when...', so it would seem that bassists don't give up, they just take time out. :)
[/quote]

I've remained in the game for close to 50 years and the thought of giving up or slowing down has never crossed my mind. To me, I often think;

[i]" If your giving up, were you ever actually in the game? "[/i]

Blue

* Keep in mind, I don't have a family or any other interests in life outside of music, performance and bands.

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1420589474' post='2651162']
I've remained in the game for close to 50 years and the thought of giving up or slowing down has never crossed my mind.
[/quote]

I'm 35 years in and it's not crossed my mind either, but I've certainly given up other things during that time.