Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Selling my Infinity

Sean.Robinson

Hi, just wondered if anyone could give me some help selling my infinity.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23155"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23155[/url]

Its been in the for sale section for over a month now and there dosnt seem to be any interest. Im guessing the issue is the price what ive put, £1500 and i guess im going to have to drop it. I dont want to let it go for nothing though so what do people think its worth please and can they give any tips please.

Thanks
Sean

It's difficult to sell something like that - not a lot of buyers for them. Personally I love Warwicks but even I wouldn't want an Infinity, they just don't do it for me.

As earlier respondents have said right now's not a great time to be selling anything, but with something like that you'd need to reach a wider market to get a good price for it at any time, I think.

There are a couple of Infinitys for sale on classified sites, doesn't look like your price is out of line.

[url="http://www.guitarmart.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseaction/Pages.getModel/Id/4/category/5/brand/154/model/1039"]Guitar Mart[/url]

[url="http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1031417418/150b7f3b.html"]Preloved[/url]

[url="http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/brands/warwick-bass-guitars/warwick/used-infinity-tn-birdseye/"]Mansons[/url]

If it were mine I'd put it on eBay with a slightly higher BIN and use Best Offer to see if you get anything acceptable. But there's a lot of Warwicks at various price levels in the Completed Auctions list and not many sold, so it's a slow market.

Also I agree with Bass Ferret, you need more in the description about why it's a really exceptional bass and - this is just my opinion for what its worth - nothing about what you're going to buy with the money. The reason for that is, if someone's going to hand over that sort of money for a bass they want to think it's the best thing ever, and knowing you're off to buy something else kind of takes away from that - like, he's after a custom Shuker, why aren't I?

i dont think any warwick would sell for £1500, be it a stock model like this or the highest spec custom shop model, people just arn't prepared to pay that amount for a warwick at the moment.

its a shame coz i bet its worth every penny

everyone has probably seen the SSII that's for sale at 700 quid on here, so over twice as much for an infinity is probably not going to look too attractive for a lot of buyers. A couple of weeks ago you could have bought a brand new SSII from Reverb for a grand, so 50% more for a used infinity? It's definitely a buyers market at the moment, but if i were you I'd try ebay before i give it to The Gallery to sell it for me on commission. Unfortunately, 1000 pounds might be a realistic price in today’s market. Fantastic bass though and it deserves to sell for a reasonable price.

Hi, thanks for all the replys, i've been thinking a lot about this, i love the bass, love the way it plays, nothing does so nicer in my opinion. I was going to sell it for a shuker but it doesnt look like ill have the money for that seen as im going to be living without student loan for a month. The only thing that lacks in the bass for me is the tone, don't get me wrong its a great tone just id like something a little different especially for its value. This said i still have some money so while i may be having to leave the shuker i may ask him to change the pickups in this to a delano JC4 HE/M2 and a Delano DJC4 HE/M2 and install and ACG filter pre amp, as ive read great reviews on these pickups, though has anyone had any expierience with the DJC4 HE/M2 and what do you think to the proposition of the mods?

Thanks
Sean

I wouldn't worry about not having any interest for a month. Trying to sell anything at the moment is very slow. It took me 7 months to find a buyer for my Ibanez SR900 and that was up for £300. People still have disposable income, but they don't seem to keep it in £500 - £1000 lumps (hence why everyone seems to have every new release of iPod/iPhone/etc).

Personally I'm on the look out to buy a Warwick Thumb 6 in the next couple of years, but I'm in no rush and will definitely not be paying more than £1000. It's a buyers market and you just have to keep your sale advertised until a buyer comes along.

unless this is your bass Sean, it might be worth watching this auction to see what it goes for.

Bet it gets nowhere near the reserve!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Infinity-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ250281467829QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:GB:101"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Infinity-bas...S:B:SRCH:GB:101[/url]

Before you lash out a wedge on new pups and pre be aware that sometimes these mods may well not have any impact on the tone and if they do it may well just be a 'different' tone, not better/not worse! You can debate till the cows come home to what degree the constituent parts of a bass make the tone of that instrument but ultimately the woods and construction must have a bearing so your bass may well just sound like 'your bass' regardless of electrics.

[quote name='Sean.Robinson' post='259324' date='Aug 10 2008, 02:55 PM']Hi, the mods would be reversible, though im not thinking towards there impact price, was steering more towards how you would think they would impact on the tone along with opinions on the components, the pickups and acg preamp please

Thanks
Sean[/quote]

If the mods are reversible, then you can put it back to original spec and sell on the preamp and pick-ups separately. The only thing about the MEC Twin-J bridge pick-up on the Infinity is that it's not quite a standard shape or size - so you might not be able to find a simple replacement.

As for the tone, I definitely think the MEC J/Twin-J pick-ups (and the preamp) are the weak links on the Infinity basses. I prefer the look of the Infinity range but prefer the tone of the Jazzman pick-up combination. I don't know why there isn't an Infinity Jazzman!