Why become a member? ×

How to clean a heavy relic nitro finish?

Mr Fretbuzz

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1420326675' post='2648207']
It's too late :)
[/quote]
^^This, I'm not sure you'll notice the odd ding or a bit of buckle rash! Seriously, I've got a Nitro finished bass and I don't think they require any special care except the finish itself is more prone to dings than a tough poly one. I take it the bass is reliced to look like 3TSB refinished in white and reliced? Congrats let us know how she sounds.

Ha ha :-) all good suggestions but I think Billy might be right. I found a good article on the Gibson site last night which says their products contain nitro themselves, not to keep a leather strap attached in the case, cover stands with cotton and open the case carefully and fan the bass to prevent cracking. What a palava :-(

Might just spit on it :-D

You can use linseed oil on the fingerboard - I use raw linseed oil on my rosewood boards. I'd just use a slightly damp cloth on the body - it's already taken the hit from being reliced so as long as you don't use anything that's going to dissolve the finish I'm sure it'll be fine (oh yeah and make sure any stands you use are ok with nitro finishes).

Edited by HowieBass

Dunlop Lemon Oil for the fretboard (wipe off the excess when you're done), and Dunlop Formula 65 guitar polish, which is nitro safe. Incidentally, Hercules stands are also nitro safe.

Linseed oil works, but leaves more of a residue than lemon oil (which is basically high grade mineral oil).

The main thing to avoid is solvents, as nitro doesn't chemically harden, it just dries out.

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1420327389' post='2648217']
Congrats let us know how she sounds.
[/quote]

Really pleased with it. Looks good, really good action and the intonation is spot on for every note, every string. Sounds warm with character. It's got round wounds on it but still sounds deep. Sounds old if that makes sense and lower in tone from my 2012 AM P with CS 60s pickups. I've ordered Jameson 1954 La Bella original flats for it and I'll get a pro set up from Ed in the Shed locally as the nut will need cutting and the truss rod adjusted. The neck will have to come off. Stock strings are 45 65 80 and 100 and the Jameson 52 73 95 and 110. Should sound warmer and deeper again :-)

The tool section of the case doesn't fit flush though as its stuffed full of stuff but doesn't fit flush when it's removed either. Not sure if this is normal or whether I ought to have a new case under warranty. I'm checking.