Why become a member? ×

NAD - what better way to see in the New Year

Merton

It's ridiculous in every way. Much bigger, heavier and more cumbersome to move around, and only just sits on those cabs without slipping off, but the sound is incredible. With everything set flat it just sings at you, add a bit of preamp valve drive and you're off laughing all the way to the end of the gig.

The CTM is a fabulous amp but on bigger gigs (such as last night!) it did run out of steam occasionally. Not in a bad way because you get that glorious power tube saturation and compression, however for my band that particular sound isn't really required until the last few songs in the second set so I just fancied something with a big valve output stage I could keep cleaner. This is it in spades, loads of tonal options on the front end and if I want to push the power amp hard I can do. Love it :)

Our drummer *almost* summed it up well: "So this is bigger, heavier and sounds the same. Well done."

To my ears it doesn't sound the same, it's got a hell of a lot more balls and bottom end, even when flat it is monstrous, and it doesn't run out of puff on the higher-volume gigs like yesterday's. The CTM is a fantastic amp but obviously when pushed it gets that valve clipping and squishing of the notes, which is lovely but not quite right for the majority of my gigs. I like the full blooded valve power section just before tipping point; the BTA achieves that where the CTM would on those occasions struggle. Don't get me wrong, the CTM is brilliant and is perfect for probably 60% of my gigs, the remaining 40% need the BTA though... Not convinced the band or the missus are too happy about that ;)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1420151241' post='2646230']
Our drummer *almost* summed it up well: "So this is bigger, heavier and sounds the same. Well done."

To my ears it doesn't sound the same, it's got a hell of a lot more balls and bottom end, even when flat it is monstrous, and it doesn't run out of puff on the higher-volume gigs like yesterday's. The CTM is a fantastic amp but obviously when pushed it gets that valve clipping and squishing of the notes, which is lovely but not quite right for the majority of my gigs. I like the full blooded valve power section just before tipping point; the BTA achieves that where the CTM would on those occasions struggle. Don't get me wrong, the CTM is brilliant and is perfect for probably 60% of my gigs, the remaining 40% need the BTA though... Not convinced the band or the missus are too happy about that ;)
[/quote]

nice, i do think that ashdown has a seriously good range of amps atm! covers all gigs really! im glad i decided to go for the 100 over the 300 as for the sound i need, lots of dirt and thick fuzz the 100 not having clean headroom isnt a problem, hell even the 15 through my 810 mic'd would be up to it i think.

that 200 with the extras the bta brings to the table must be sweet!

andy