Why become a member? ×

Fender Made in China

Shabbs

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1419710343' post='2642160']
Not a bass, but my Chinese modern player Marauder is a fabulous instrument, built, and especially finished, to a very high standard. Easily a match for my Japanese Fenders, and the best set up I've had from any guitar, ever!
[/quote]

I have the same instrument and the same experience. It will be even fabulouser when I have had it resprayed in CAR with a matching headstock.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1420021711' post='2644856']
Heres mine, not sure about Stingray tones, but the Jazz AND Precision tones are wonderfull. Mine sounds like a Turbo Precision with both pickups on.
[/quote]

Now that is nice, didn't know the did it in 3tsb, thought it was only 2t.

[quote name='Shabbs' timestamp='1420031772' post='2644989']

Now that is nice, didn't know the did it in 3tsb, thought it was only 2t.
[/quote]

It is now sadly (although I do still quite like the look of the 2t). The current model has 4 knobs - VVT & 4 way selector - with the Jack socket moved to the side so I'd say this is the previous model.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1420036631' post='2645050']
It is now sadly (although I do still quite like the look of the 2t). The current model has 4 knobs - VVT & 4 way selector - with the Jack socket moved to the side so I'd say this is the previous model.
[/quote]

Yes, previous model, bought new 2012, the newer satin model plays nice, but I love mine.

This is Chinese. I've been over it with a fine tooth comb hoping to find some QC issues. No dodgy output jack (my CIJ 51 Reissue), no rough sharp frets (my Am. Precision), no binding coming unstuck (my Am. Ricky 4003), smooth tuners, perfect fitting neck, great sound, great looks, Mexican price. Works for me.

• 4 weeks later...

If you find a bad Fender from anywhere, blame FMIC.

They're the ones who decide the specifications, the materials and processes to be used and the unit cost.

They then chose to accept it from the manufacturer and sell it on to their customers.

In this case any problems are American, not Chinese.

I think that ESP guitars are making guitars where some of the work is done in China, and the final finishing etc. is done in Japan. This to me seems to be a good policy as provided quality control is done at later stages of the process, and the initial process is close enough, there should be a very good end product for less cost than a guitar made completely in Japan.

For the Made in China Fenders, how much, if any, of the final refining or setup is done in countries outside of China?