Why become a member? ×

Preamp for single pick up bass

alembic1989

Hi to all.
I'm thinking of upgrading my beloved Vox Standard bass.I'm looking to add just a bass\treble control ( preamp)..concentric if possible...I want to keep the original layout and switch between active and passive.
Could any our learned BC'ers recommended an appropriate preamp?
Thanks in advance.

I put one of the EMG Pre's in my Mk 1 Ibanez Blazer. Transformed the instrument for me to be honest.
I can't remember if it was the BTC one or not but I'd recommend it if the John East is a over budget.
B)

Try a bdi21 pedal in front of amp,you can use any bass then and they double up as a DI box as well-very handy.You can gig straight into PA without an amp.Good back up if amp/cab goes down,plug into PA and gig saved or open mic nights,amp sound without amp and before I forget ,very good for recording as well.
Worth a go there is a lot of us use these marvelous cheap pedals but don,t admit to it cause it,s behringer . if you like what they do then you can upgrade if you want to.I,ve had mine for 6-7 years and it was s/h when I got it for £6.

Some good ideas.
The pedal route is a possibility..it's just that I hate messing around with leads.
The p-retro sounds great....but I'm a little reluctant to part with £200.
The bass is a great (but underrated) piece of kit.....I've had it for 30 years.
Perhaps it's earned the right to be pampered with an East preamp
I was hoping for a cheaper solution though tbh.