Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD & Mike Lull Appreciation Thread.

Chiliwailer

A few of you know, I got a Mike Lull P4 today, as requested below is a picture, though the bass in question has graced this site once or twice, perhaps three times before. It's been bought and sold a few times on the site, that did make me question if I should get it, especially as I wasn't after a sunburst, but knowing the quality of Mike's basses I thought it'd be worth a punt. It was.

First off, it's seriously light at only 7.49lbs by my scales. That's exactly what I need due to neurological issues and one reason why I hunted down a Lull as after surgery in January I'll be able to causally play with mates again and I'm lacking a trusty workhorse of a P Bass. The build quality is outstanding, The neck is, without doubt, the nicest 1.75 inch width I have ever owned, and actually I've owned and loved some very nice ones before, this guy can really shape a neck! The tone is gracefully mellow, soft mids and sweet and funky when pushed, better suited to flats than rounds for my taste, but then I'd probably say that about any Fender. Unfortunately it's not in your face punchy, growly or with as much attack as my old CS Precision, but then you have to expect that from such a light bass as they tend to be softer and warmer in tone on a Precision. In all honesty, purely for my taste it's not my favourite tone I've ever got from a Precision, but it is damn good, suits me still and at that weight I can't believe my luck, it's a sure fire keeper. I've been playing it on and off all day when I can and its an absolutely joy to play. I'm over the moon, and that's not the pain killers and whiskey doing that....

To top it off, Mike Lull is a very cool and genuine guy. It says on his website that if you're in town then pop in to the workshop. I did exactly that in September when in Seattle, knocked on the door and recieved a very warm welcome and a friendly chat. He showed me around, let me play his showroom basses, including his own gigging one and also insisted I play an original 1957 P Bass he'd just worked on. Honestly, I couldn't wait to get off that 57 and back onto his. I've played enough of those before and as amazing as they are, his basses were new to me and much more exciting.

A top bass form a top man, for me that's the icing on the cake.

Excellent that it fits the bill, Chiliwailer. As a former owner I can honestly say it was the most finely crafted Precision I have ever owned and I have owned vintage Fenders, Alleva Coppolo's etc. Shame I couldn't handle the old school 1.75" nut width. Lovely bass and like a toy in weight!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1419106277' post='2636714']
I'm always pleased to see pics of this one :)[size=4] Hope you enjoy it.[/size]

[size=4]I was in Bass Direct today, they have a good stock of Lulls. Very lovely they all were too.[/size]
[/quote]

Cheers Gary. This bass is on Basschat more than me, perhaps we should give it a profile?

I'd been meaning to go to Bass Direct but knew I couldn't afford a new one and would end up with one on the card. Had a very lucky day yesterday though, got a pay rise at work and then sent a few chance emails and got wind of a second hand one.

Did you get anything today?