Why become a member? ×

Re-Booking Your Band, How Do You Do It

blue

For you guys that gig pubs/bars, fairs and festivals. How and when do you re-book your band? Right after the gig, when the place is packed and the register won't quit, follow up call, or wait for the pub to call you ( good luck with that ).

Do you re-book single or multiple dates. This is how we make $$$$ and stay busy.

Share your thoughts & insights, make a comment or suggestion.

Blue

Me and Vance Brecia ( Herman's Hermits Staring Peter Noone, Lead guitarist & musical director )

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1418333375' post='2629354']
On the night via smartphone. Usually multiples for the next year.
[/quote]

Cool, we do something similar. We have 2 clubs that we follow up with and can usually book dates for the entire year. That's a real efficient way of doing it. Some clubs, well, that just won't work. :angry:

blue

Playing Pillars this weekend, cool venue, nice stage,good crowd it use to be a Church

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1418332393' post='2629343']
For you guys that gig pubs/bars, fairs and festivals. How and when do you re-book your band? Right after the gig, when the place is packed and the register won't quit, follow up call, or wait for the pub to call you ( good luck with that ).
[/quote]

When the landlord has to empty the till halfway through your set, that would be a bad time to start a discussion on how many dates he wants you to play in the future. They'll be really happy that they're doing business, and that the entertainment is bringing in the punters in a big way - They won't forget that when you walk out the door. Trust me - You always remember a good day's trade.

I'd leave it until after the gig is finished and the band's packing up, at the earliest. At the latest, I'd say a week. My own personal follow-up (if I were in the business of playing live gigs) would be to phone the landlord with the band diary open in front of you, or call in to their pub again during the week when it's quiet and you know they'll be there. Never via text or email. Although a landlord with a sense of humour might appreciate a snapchat :D

Talk it up - Say you really enjoyed playing at their pub, and everything went well, and you noticed the queue at the bar. Then gently steer the conversation towards them booking more dates.

That's just how I would do it, personally. I'm not a gig player, so others might have their own "tried and tested" methods.

Generally it's how Milty describes above. Sometimes it might be as we're packing up, more likely a quiet evening during the following week. Our guitarist tends to do most of the bookings as he has the busiest multi-band diary. We get quite a few enquiries through our Facebook page so will often negotiate through there

New Venues (i.e. places we've not played before): I offer a package of three gigs, spaced about two months apart. The rates will be something like £160 for #1, £200 for #2, and then a standard rate of £240 for #3 and subsequent.

Existing Venues (where we have played before): I talk to the manager/landlord when I drop off the posters for #3 of the existing package ( a week or two beforehand) and suggest we get the next set of three in the diary at that point.

It annoys me quite a lot how our band goes about it.

We'll get the landlord come up to us after a gig and say something like 'yeah was really good, we'll deffo have you back' and the guitarist who 'books' the gigs just nods and says thank you then will carry on packing up the gear. Surely when the landlord is saying to you 'WE'LL HAVE YOU BACK' you reply with 'Okay great, lets sort some dates...'

And they ask why we dont have any gigs booked next year...

1. wait for the venue to call back (easier for a well established band).
2. always bring a diary in case they want to sort a date immediately after the gig (many do).
3. if not 1. or 2. then make the landlord/lady commit to a good time to ring them/visit them and stick to it.

...we use/bring paper diary and smartphones with calendars, and we usually book multiple gigs. When I was in bands that were just getting going there was a lot more chasing venues required!

Edited by Adrenochrome

There's no doubt about it, your follow-up has to be on point.

Weststarx - When the Landlord says "We'll have you back", and your band mates aren't in like a shot with "We have a free slot on [enter date in near future here]", I suggest that you and any bandmates who share your position annoy the hell out of whoever does the booking to phone the landlord or call in his pub during the week to discuss more dates. Right after a gig might not be the best time for either party to discuss dates.

We always talk to the booker after the gig and gauge how they think it went.
For one-off parties, it is often about making contact with the next party ...
but for regular venues we make it clear if we'll do it again.
Pub type venues come to us...and that is a result of our hard
work and general ability to deliver, we think.
Nobody wants to do 'business' on the back of a successful night..IME,
as they still want to enjoy the evening, so we don't really want to talk
other than be up for a return.. Really don't want to talking fees and dates
with other ears listening.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1418379014' post='2629649']
Right after a gig might not be the best time for either party to discuss dates.
[/quote]

It depends on the landlord. Sometimes they will bring the diary over with the cash at the end of the night. Usually it's a follow up phone call though.

We use text e-mail or Facebook with regulars...and one never does anymore than text.
It does annoy me a bit but it has always worked, tbf.
If I feel I need to chase a gig, then I'll have to chase it..but the trick is to want them to 'chase' you
We've targetted gigs before and they tend to do their homework and check you out, what other
people say etc etc That is the beauty of FB as it is easy to get feedback there.
Mostly we have 'fans' tell us a certain venue would be good, and they'll put in a word..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418381113' post='2629670']
Mostly we have 'fans' tell us a certain venue would be good, and they'll put in a word..
[/quote]

That's probably one of the best ways to get business, IMO. If the punters are saying "We love this band and we'd come to your pub to see them play", there's no higher endorsement. The punters are where the pub makes their money, and if a band has a good following, all the better.

As gig organiser for our band I normally speak to the landlord after we have packed away (providing he does not look too busy). If he doesn't offer a date there and then I usually drop him a facebook message or email (if I have communicated that way before with him/her) just briefly saying how much we enjoyed the gig and would like to play there again. If no reply to that, then a phone call a few days later.

There is also the opposite dilemma where you play in a right s**t hole and they ask you back. We have that problem at the moment where the landlord of a local pub is a lovely guy but his pub we played in earlier this year is very rough. He kept ringing asking for more dates before I had to admit to him we didn't want to play there due to feeling very uncomfortable. I don't think I have ever seen the same band play there twice!

The latter is one reason why we don't do business on the night... we will talk about it.

Facebook is good for feedback because you should have a good few positive comments and you'll
thank the venue, and the venue will comment as well, so you have established a good rapport.
The problem with working for non musical type people is that they will have to remember you otherwise
you might be little more than a 'starred' or ticked comment in their diary... so not the impression you wanted to
make..??

One reason for NOT approaching the manager at the end of the gig is because, putting it bluntly, so many of them are piss-artists.

At a very rough guess, I'd say that half the pubs we played this year the manager was as drunk as his regulars by the end of the evening.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1418384326' post='2629737']
One reason for NOT approaching the manager at the end of the gig is because, putting it bluntly, so many of them are piss-artists.

At a very rough guess, I'd say that half the pubs we played this year the manager was as drunk as his regulars by the end of the evening.
[/quote]

The phrase "lunatics running the asylum" comes to mind :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Oh...so that's why they said they'd have us back... :mellow:

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1418375047' post='2629608']
It annoys me quite a lot how our band goes about it.

We'll get the landlord come up to us after a gig and say something like 'yeah was really good, we'll deffo have you back' and the guitarist who 'books' the gigs just nods and says thank you then will carry on packing up the gear. Surely when the landlord is saying to you 'WE'LL HAVE YOU BACK' you reply with 'Okay great, lets sort some dates...'

And they ask why we dont have any gigs booked next year...
[/quote]

Very frustrating, but not unusual.

Most bands have maybe one guy with a good head for business. You might want to take on re-booking your band.

Blue

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1418378014' post='2629641']
1. wait for the venue to call back (easier for a well established band).[/quote]

That might be a cultural or regional thing. Over here, even if you packed the place and the alcohol sales went through the roof the venue is not going to call back.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418381113' post='2629670']
We use text e-mail or Facebook with regulars...and one never does anymore than text.
It does annoy me a bit but it has always worked, tbf.
If I feel I need to chase a gig, then I'll have to chase it..but the trick is to want them to 'chase' you
We've targetted gigs before and they tend to do their homework and check you out, what other
people say etc etc That is the beauty of FB as it is easy to get feedback there.
[/quote]

Over here, owners are really up on social media. FB would not work, you have to call these folks.

Blue

[/quote]

Is that why I hear so many stories about owners falling down flights of stairs? :D

Blue