Why become a member? ×

Band Break-Up Issue (Selling and Splitting the PA)

neptunehealer

Hi Guys,

The band i have been in for 8 years has finally broken up.

Right me and the guitarist have had a long standing feud which has festered. 4 of the original members all paid 25% in cash for the PA approx 5 years ago.

Them two members left the group and decided to waive their investment in the PA and left it to the two remaining members.

Two new members subsequently joined the group and they never put a penny into the PA.
Basically the mixer and power amp is the guitarists house and i have a sub speaker. I have asked to get the gear valued and split it 50|50, but he doesn't want to do that as he wants to keep the power amp and the mixer.

We can't agree, he has offered me something very unreasonable.

What legal rights do i have (if any). One of the original members said he would be a witness and i have a print screen from a prior convo where the guitarist admits we co-own the PA.

What can i do?

Talk it out some more first. If he's offering you something unreasonable, then that is, er... unreasonable. If he can't BE reasonable, then go with your plan to sell the entire PA and split it 50-50. If he doesn't want to do that then him keeping the mixer and power amp is tantamount to theft and should then be dealt with as such... solicitor's letter, small claims, etc. Perhaps a look at the Citizens Advice Bureau website would be useful. Edit: Sorry to hear about the band split, by the way.

Edited by discreet

Hi mate. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

He is offering me the 4 old speakers back and a paltry £63 - i personally don't think that's reasonable.

He has basically said have this or nothing - and if you come on my property i am calling the Police!

There's no receipts which makes me feel like there's no hope, and he has kinda got me by the you know what as there in his house.

You've had 5 years use out of the PA.

How much did you pay towards it.

The ususal way to solve this would be to put it on eBay and split what's left 4 ways and give the guys who walked away their cut too.

The speakers will be no use to you on their own and second hand value very low.

I'd either take his offer or walk away.

Personally I would always go for one person owns the PA and the band hire it.

How did he arrive at £63? Sounds a bit of an odd number to me! Bassman Steve is right, it's a civil matter and the police won't be interested. A strongly-worded solicitors letter might just do the trick, but I appreciate that there is a cost involved with this. Getting a posse of, er... 'diplomats' together to raid his house probably isn't a good idea. Oh wait, nobody suggested that, did they..? :D

The easy, stress-free solution is to accept the cash and the 4 speakers and sell them on the Bay or Gumtree. Then chalk it up to experience, move on and forget about it. That's what I'd do, as I've found that getting riled up and doing something you will regret later is actually not at all worth it in the end - everyone loses.

Edited by discreet

This will explain how he came to £63:

Hi exact message he sent:

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]I have gone online and seen the value of it all second hand.[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The mixer and power amp I will keep as it will be used next year.[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Right [/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The two tops combined second hand are worth :£218[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The subs combined second hand valued at £318[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The mixer is valued second hand at £ 270[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The power amp valued at £329[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]So if I keep the mixer and power amp its worth £ 599[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]If you keep the speakers all 4 they combined are worth £536 you can choose to sell or use in a new project.[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Of course I will pay you the difference Between £599 - £536 = £63. [/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]That way its simple fair and we still have to only buy certain gear to complete a complete Pa system if we wanted to use it with future projects.[/font][/color]

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1418072336' post='2626626']
You've had 5 years use out of the PA.

How much did you pay towards it.

The ususal way to solve this would be to put it on eBay and split what's left 4 ways and give the guys who walked away their cut too.

The speakers will be no use to you on their own and second hand value very low.

I'd either take his offer or walk away.

Personally I would always go for one person owns the PA and the band hire it.
[/quote]
With respect the op has not stated what the equipment is, it could be a nice powered sub and a digital desk worth far more than the 4 old speakers and £63 in which case walking away would be an unfair suggestion imo.

What about making an itinerary of all the parts individually, find 10 completed ebay listings for each bit and asking him to agree to taking an average sale price as the given market value, add up the bits he wants take away the bits you want (end up with), email the list/proposal to him stating that you have checked the legal position (basschat lawyers,lol) and the only other option is to get a 3rd party to sell it and divide the cash up, make it clear he is welcome to bid on it just to piss him off a bit!

[quote name='neptunehealer' timestamp='1418073545' post='2626659']

Hi exact message he sent:

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]I have gone online and seen the value of it all second hand.[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The mixer and power amp I will keep as it will be used next year.[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Right [/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The two tops combined second hand are worth :£218[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The subs combined second hand valued at £318[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The mixer is valued second hand at £ 270[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]The power amp valued at £329[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]So if I keep the mixer and power amp its worth £ 599[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]If you keep the speakers all 4 they combined are worth £536 you can choose to sell or use in a new project.[/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]Of course I will pay you the difference Between £599 - £536 = £63. [/font][/color]

[color=#373E4D][font=Helvetica, Arial,]That way its simple fair and we still have to only buy certain gear to complete a complete Pa system if we wanted to use it with future projects.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
So he has done what I suggested to you, lol.
The only question here is are his valuations correct in your opinion?

[quote name='neptunehealer' timestamp='1418074262' post='2626683']
Thing is are they realistic though. I think this may be the best option as i do just want rid of this guy! Been a complete nightmare to work with.
[/quote]
If the valuations are anything close to realistic then take the money and get out fast before he changes his mind.

But the figures make no sense. No one says 'two tops are worth £218 pounds', they would say £220, or even just £200.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='neptunehealer' timestamp='1418073545' post='2626659']

[/quote]
Whilst his arithmetic is correct, the calculations he's used to get there aren't.

In short, if his valuations are reasonable he's paying you £31.50 too much!

[s]Edit: Scrub that, he's better at the arithmetic than I am![/s]

Edit2: As you were, I'm just confusing myself here. I need a lie down... :lol:

Edited by Musky

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1418075085' post='2626706']

If the valuations are anything close to realistic then take the money and get out fast before he changes his mind.

But the figures make no sense. No one says 'two tops are worth £218 pounds', they would say £220, or even just £200.
[/quote]
maybe he is quoting ebay final sale prices though?

His calculations actually seem to make sense there. And if he's right then I'd say that's reasonable as he's giving you aprox half of the equipment and throwing in the monetary difference.

If you post what the gear is then we can actually tell you what's reasonable.

Hugh