Why become a member? ×

Feeling guilty ,fret markers.

red rooster

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1418068123' post='2626546']
But this is my point, if you develop the muscle memory by using markers, you may be more quickly able to get to that point where you don't have to look at the board at all.
[/quote]

My question is why would you need to get to that point or, indeed, think it is something to strive for?

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1418121307' post='2626965']

My question is why would you need to get to that point or, indeed, think it is something to strive for?
[/quote]
Because at that point you can play without sh*t getting in the way of your musical expression.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1418122261' post='2626990']
[/quote]

So I have an eye (or two) to look at the sheet music, for example.... depending on what I'm playing, I use sheet music, or even just chords on the iPhone/iPad ... kinda difficult to look at both at the same time ;)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1418122261' post='2626990']
Because at that point you can play without sh*t getting in the way of your musical expression.
[/quote]

But does it? If you look at musicians such as most classical guitar players, for example Don Williams - they are pretty much focused on what their left hand is doing most of the time. From what I have seen I would say bass players not watching their fretting hand would be the exception, not the rule. It may be something you like to do, and I am not trying to devalue that, but I don't believe it is something we should all of necessity strive for. The implication that looking at what your fretting hand is doing is somehow 'cheating' or a 'beginner thing' I don't think is correct.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1418066123' post='2626517']
Lots of basses with "blank" fretboards have tiny dot markers on the side anyway... Could be worse, you could use LEDs! ;)
[/quote]

Ahem..... well my bass came with led side markers as standard and I think they are a great aid when making large leaps around the fretboard. Thankfully they are not visible to the audience. :-) cos that would be way too flash.

[quote name='red rooster' timestamp='1418055953' post='2626358']
Was trying to play something the other day and it was jumping all over the neck so basically i was getting a bit lost so i found some sticky dots and numberd my frets 1 to 12 the stickers are behind the neck nobody can see then except me the difference to my speed,being able to find the notes im looking for is so much more quicker im now hitting the notes right and there sounding like the should ie not humming ,ringing etc im able to concentrate more on gettint the notes sharp getting my fingers in the right position,but lol my daughter who i take classes with (shes only 12) says im cheating and is giving me a slagging should i take them off.dots that is honestly they make a hell of a difference to my playing.cheers stuart.
[/quote]
I cant imagine why you'd feel quilty about this. If it helps, do it, and only take them off when [u][b]you [/b][/u]are sure you dont need them any more.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1418211841' post='2627952']
The only thing I would question is why you need the number at fret one, surely you can figure that one out without a marker? :D
[/quote]

Yeah but then when you have figured out where number one is you won't need to mark the two because you know it's next to the one. :secret: