Why become a member? ×

Help with 'Valerie' bassline?

mewsie

hey folks,

i'm sat working out the bassline to Valerie (the amy winehouse/mark ronson version) and have come up against a little riff i need some help with.

i have an ear infection right now which really isnt helping, and need to work this, or something like it out before friday!

the most of it i've sat and worked through, but *right* before the vocals come in, theres this really awesome little riffy bit. its very short, but i like it.
i want to try and get that sound, but i just can't figure out what is being played there... i could just forget all about it and move on, but i don't work like that!

any chance anyone can help me out? i don't really use tab, someone did chuck some my way (thanks Moody) but it missed all the funky stuff out.

appreciate it guys and gals!

x

[quote name='KevB' post='256544' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:54 PM']Go back to the original Zutons version, far far better than the Winehouse abomination and probably easier to work out.[/quote]

plus the one...and you'd not have to listen to her awful caterwauling as well.

If I can recall correctly, it goes something like this -

Eb Eb Eb Eb Eb (in that Bo Diddley beat style rhythm interlocked with drums)

...then it has a little run in the last repetition, just before the vocals come in as you say that goes something like this -

Eb Eb Eb
G G# A#

then back to the Eb!

Hope this helps :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='256768' date='Aug 6 2008, 10:16 PM']Do you read notation, Mewsie? If so I'll transcribe it for you tomorrow.[/quote]

i do indeed!

thanks! :)

thanks for the replies btw, much appreciated! i'm feeling much less tense now.

x

On a side note - good luck with the ear infection Mewsie. I've had 3 in the same ear in the last four years (just got rid of one last week) and if you don't catch them fast enough with a visit to the docs for antibiotics - they bloody hurt.

My deepest sympathies go out to you.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='256798' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:13 PM']On a side note - good luck with the ear infection Mewsie. I've had 3 in the same ear in the last four years (just got rid of one last week) and if you don't catch them fast enough with a visit to the docs for antibiotics - they bloody hurt.

My deepest sympathies go out to you.[/quote]

thanks m'dear. its an ongoing problem for me, flares up every couple of months, and is playing havoc with my bass-ing as i do everything by ear.

re: your ear, i'm sorry to hear that, ear infections really suck don't they?

x

[quote name='mewsie' post='256802' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:20 PM']thanks m'dear. its an ongoing problem for me, flares up every couple of months, and is playing havoc with my bass-ing as i do everything by ear.

re: your ear, i'm sorry to hear that, ear infections really suck don't they?

x[/quote]

You may want to have a wander through this page on Homeopathic remedies and ear infections
[url="http://abchomeopathy.com/c.php/175"]http://abchomeopathy.com/c.php/175[/url]
Worth a go whether you believe it or not :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='256945' date='Aug 7 2008, 09:34 AM']You may want to have a wander through this page on Homeopathic remedies and ear infections
[url="http://abchomeopathy.com/c.php/175"]http://abchomeopathy.com/c.php/175[/url]
Worth a go whether you believe it or not :)[/quote]

ooooh, i need belladonna, apparently, how cool! thanks for that link, i will try that, definitely!

re: the song, it's at [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQVxFPxYyw0"]14 secs in[/url] in this.

couldn't find one where i could see a bass player playing where i needed!

hope that helps?

x

My bands used to do the Zutons version but people kept asking us to play the Ronson version. Now thats all we do and it always goes down well.
It Seems its a bit more up temp and easier to dance to as well.
I've had quite heated arguments with drummers over where the bass and drums stop. None of them have realised the bass stops in two different places. I just keep it going now.

Edited by dave_bass5

The bit at 14 secs is moving from the intro Eb pattern into a fill of bottom Ab to Bb, linking to the vocal part back in Eb.

Oh, one little addenum... The F chord marker should be F Minor! (Did this so fast that I forgot chord II in a major key is always minor!!!)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I think beat two is anticipated with a 16'th note, same as the bass drum pattern.
As someone pointed out before...
Its the Bo Diddley Rhythm with a few ghosties here and there,
And a bit swingey :)

Need to click on pic.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='257428' date='Aug 7 2008, 05:48 PM']I think beat two is anticipated with a 16'th note, same as the bass drum pattern.
As someone pointed out before...
Its the Bo Diddley Rhythm with a few ghosties here and there,
And a bit swingey :)

Need to click on pic.

Garry[/quote]

Hi Garry, I think you're right there. It does vary a little in places. I was mainly going for the bones of the piece so that Mewsie could get through it for her audition. Not bad for a 30 minute takedown, though :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='257418' date='Aug 7 2008, 05:41 PM']OTPJ!

You are a Hero!
Thanks from all of us ..
OG[/quote]

I haven't forgotten your copy of Victor's Classical Thump. Just getting around to it!!! Can you resend me your email, Si? Oh, and did you just want the first page (the playable bit) or the whole piece?

Rich.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='257502' date='Aug 7 2008, 07:24 PM']Hi Garry, I think you're right there. It does vary a little in places. I was mainly going for the bones of the piece so that Mewsie could get through it for her audition. Not bad for a 30 minute takedown, though :)[/quote]

Sorry mate, I was not bone picking... :huh:
As it happens its good to see people putting up charts...good one!
In fact it might be a good idea for a thread... [Like the groove loops thing]
Then we could all help each other out.. :huh:
Might have to change the odd note though...
Not sure how you would stand with the copyright thing ? :huh:

Garry

Hey Garry, I'd guess that only the tune & chords are copyright protected. You can't copyright a bassline or a chord sequence as they're both rather generic or at least formulaic! I think there was some spat many years ago between Bon Jovi & Belinda Carlisle. They both produced songs with the same bassline and one tried to sue the other. It was thrown out though, as it was purely coincidental.

With due respect to my esteemed colleagues who have uploaded transcriptions, the rhythmic structure of the bass line is a 3/2 Latin clave diminished to one bar. So each bar is based on:
dotted quaver, dotted quaver, crotchet, quaver, crotchet

Then there are embellishments on top of that (rests and extra notes) but that's more down to feeling it at the time, I would argue. I would wait and see what the drummer is up to before adding too much of that.

Lincoln Goines and Robby Ameen have put together a great book called "Funkifying the Clave" about the mechanics of afro-cuban rhythms, including how they influence rock and pop. You don't have to work your way through the book to play Valerie tonight but it's a good one to add to the collection and it is very relevant here so I couldn't resist a little plug :)