Why become a member? ×

Fretless maple P-neck?

philw

All,

I'd quite like to get hold of an unlined fretless P-bass neck with a maple fingerboard. It's not the kind of thing you see going "previously loved" all that often, so what do we reckon is the best (i.e most cost effective) option on the new replacement neck front? Warmouth? Mighty Mite? Somewhere else?

Phil

Hi Phil
Buy a bass with said neck and sell the other bits is probably the cheapest bet, I don't think even Warmoth offer it as an option. Fender and Ibanez offered them back in the day (and there is a quite rare recent Fender MIJ RI), but they never really caught on amongst bassists in comparison with rosewood, ebony etc. My old bass is for sale, albeit in a new colour scheme, by kevinjazzbass on this forum. I had the neck refinished by Martin Simms and it is absolutely stunning, as good if not better than new. I know Kev is keen to move it on so I'd suggest that might be your best starting point? The maple FL necks do pop up FS on USA eBay occasionally but you have to keep in mind that they tend to be preloved in every sense of the phrase, and removing string wear from the finish of a maple board is a very different prospect - and a very different price range - to the same work on a rosewood or ebony board.

I don't know exactly what it is, but there is a magic to a maple fretless neck

C

Somewhere else might be this (but just noticed out of stock) No idea of the quality, but you'll not need a fret level! Side dots may be annoying though as they are same position as fretted.

http://www.customworldguitarparts.com/default/gitaar-halzen/bass-neck/p-bass-maple-neck-fretless-nitro-finish-top-quality.html

Kev's bass is truly gorgeous thing Chris but I don't have that kind of cash to spend I'm afraid. Also, the fretless neck I'm after would end up attached to the body of a Squire Jaguar HB so something with serious vintage credentials would be a waste.

Police Squad and Pfretrock's suggestions are more in the right ball-park but side dots between frets on a fretless are a pet hate (along with being one of the stupidest things know to man)

The hunt continues.

Phil

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1417951367' post='2625308']
[url="http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181603449956"]http://pages.ebay.co...id=181603449956[/url]

Just spotted on eBay, not 100% perfect but cheap.
[/quote]

Thanks Andy, I saw that one and enquired about it. Thing is, I don't really want lined, and like most lined fretless, it has its side dots between the fret lines. which I think is one of the most stupid ideas known to "man".

P

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1417770331' post='2623799']
the fretless neck I'm after would end up attached to the body of a Squire Jaguar HB so something with serious vintage credentials would be a waste.

Police Squad and Pfretrock's suggestions are more in the right ball-park but side dots between frets on a fretless are a pet hate (along with being one of the stupidest things know to man)

The hunt continues.

Phil
[/quote]

Why not just go for one like Police squad's and pick/drill out the side dots you don't like, little wipe of light wood filler (couple of quid from b&q for a small tube) and just sharpie pen some dots where you do want them?
Easy, and keeps your project cheap and fun.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1418051026' post='2626293']
Why not just go for one like Police squad's and pick/drill out the side dots you don't like, little wipe of light wood filler (couple of quid from b&q for a small tube) and just sharpie pen some dots where you do want them?
Easy, and keeps your project cheap and fun.
[/quote]

I did this but because the laquer is tinted, you can still see the dots (which are now white). The new markers are black and slightly larger that the old ones, but under stage lights the black ones stand out so well it's not a problem.
If i could be bothered with some tinted laquer i could go over the white dots and try and blend them in a little more. But as I said, it's not a problem on gigs