Why become a member? ×

Thomann

ambient

When you tape in a product and "price" into Google, you often get wildly different values. I buy from the cheapest that isn't an absolute unknown. I wanted a Behringer bit of gear for a project this week, and would happily have bought from Thomann as they are usually cheapest, but I got a link to Amazon of all people, and one of their retailers was ten quid less than Thomann. They go the business.

I also choose Thomann for more expensive purchases because as I'm VAT registered, I have to fund the VAT content until the next quarter. If I buy from Thomann, they supply it VAT free, which helps the cash flow when it's hundreds of pounds. I obviously can't claim it back at the next return date, but it saves me spending then claiming back.

I use them for some stuff, if they are cheaper, and I haven't ever had a problem with them. Currently I am looking for a 5 string G&L tribute. If I could walk into a shop to see them I would get one there, but I can't even find anyone selling them in UK within £150 of thomann prices.

On the other hand I am looking for a TC Electronic combo, but I want to hear that and see what it is like to pick up, but luckily they do have those in UK stores. If I try it in a store I would probably buy it there.

Don't they also do a 30 day return, although I couldn't find how much it was to send something back

My guess is it's probably not that cheap to return something you don't want to Germany as a one-off.

In the end I have bought from a UK shop - not because of cost but due to the fact that it's the only place you can get these basses now as they're stopped making them so hands were tied (luckily one chain had some in still). But feels as though I'm doing my bit for the economy!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1417636715' post='2622591']

Don't they also do a 30 day return, although I couldn't find how much it was to send something back
[/quote]
Yes they do a 30 day return. I have returned a couple of micro amps to them. It was just a case of printing off a returns slip, dropping them at my local post office and I was charged 15 Euro (I live in Ireland) each time I shipped a unit. Once Thomann received the shipment I was fully reimbursed for the cost of the unit. I was out of pocket 15 Euro which is fine by me.
A word of warning though, as the unit must be returned in pristine condition with all original packing, otherwise their may be trouble getting a full reimbursement.
Not sure on the cost of shipping back a guitar but if you shoot off an email to Thomann they normally respond quite quickly

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1416912009' post='2614865']

Before I was lucky enough to find my Glockenklang here in the BC marketplace I emailed DV247 to see if they could match the thomann price. They responded a week later saying they could, but a week is far too long.. If one hadn't come up for sale here I would have assumed they weren't going to respond and ordered it up from Thomann by then...
[/quote]

Aren't DV247 German these days, too?

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='bassintheface' timestamp='1416910988' post='2614845']
If they're 'there or thereabouts' with a price comparison with Thomann then I'll go for the british based company - I bought my X32 from DV247 in the end,
[/quote]

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1417722513' post='2623521']
Aren't DV247 German these days, too?
[/quote]

Yep, that's what I understand. They're German owned now since they went under and closed all their UK shops except their showroom in Essex/Epsom or wherever it is.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1416912009' post='2614865']
Before I was lucky enough to find my Glockenklang here in the BC marketplace I emailed DV247 to see if they could match the thomann price. They responded a week later saying they could, but a week is far too long.. If one hadn't come up for sale here I would have assumed they weren't going to respond and ordered it up from Thomann by then...
[/quote]

I sent them a sales query to ask if their MarkBass combos were the Italian or Indonesian ones and never ever received a reply.

Edited by Mornats

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1417725853' post='2623571']
I sent them a sales query to ask if their MarkBass combos were the Italian or Indonesian ones and never ever received a reply.
[/quote]

That's unusual. I've always had replies to my mails... ymmv, obviously.