Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber

Jono Bolton

I've been offered a Gibson Grabber in a trade. It's a '77 with the sliding pickup. It's in need of some TLC, a new nut, bridge saddles, a rewire and a good scrub, but other than that it appears it's in decent nick for its age (although I've not yet seen it in the flesh).

Can anyone tell me much about them, and if it'll be worthwhile given the work that needs doing?

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1416179734' post='2607768']
I've been offered a Gibson Grabber in a trade. It's a '77 with the sliding pickup. It's in need of some TLC, a new nut, bridge saddles, a rewire and a good scrub, but other than that it appears it's in decent nick for its age (although I've not yet seen it in the flesh).

Can anyone tell me much about them, and if it'll be worthwhile given the work that needs doing?
[/quote]

I don't think they were common enough to make parts sourcing easy - Some people think they're worth a lot: Definitely on my to try list.
If it's priced appropriately it could be well worth it. Be aware some of the parts are custom made for that model (sliding cover and some other parts I think) so if they're missing they may need to be made up at considerable cost.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1416190074' post='2607823']
I don't think they were common enough to make parts sourcing easy - Some people think they're worth a lot: Definitely on my to try list.
If it's priced appropriately it could be well worth it. Be aware some of the parts are custom made for that model (sliding cover and some other parts I think) so if they're missing they may need to be made up at considerable cost.
[/quote]

The only bits that need to be replaced are the nut and saddles, everything else is present and correct. The nut and saddles are there as well, but the guy offering it recommends that they be replaced sooner rather than later, and they're bot relatively easy to get hold of, they needn't be originals.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1416209612' post='2607854']
You'd be best PM'ing Neepheed. I think he's got a re-fin one.
[/quote]

Cheers, I'll send him a message just now.

I had a G3 donkey's years ago. Aside from some niggly issues with the electrics (intermittent cutting out), I have nothing but pleasant memories of it. It played well, balanced nicely, sounded growly. All good. I trawl eBay regularly and parts don't really seem to be that hard to obtain, but be patient and buy well.

**Neeph is rescuing a Ripper BTW, not a Grabber...Rippers are a different beastie entirely; set neck, varitone control, two pickups, nasty three point bridge.

Good luck with it if you buy it.
P

Get it - Gibson Grabbers are like a Precision on steroids! I love mine, it's battered and bruised but has been my main bass for years. The bridge has through stringing but I wouldn't think difficult to replace the crucial thing is the pickup and slider if they are ok the rest of the hardware can be swapped for more modern stuff. Oh and if you decide not to buy send him to me ;)