Why become a member? ×

Tom Sawyer - slapped!

ras52

[quote name='BigGuyAtTheBack' timestamp='1415961807' post='2605562']
Ha! I knew someone would bite! Actually I liked it and it would be a shame if he kept those talents to the bedroom. I just watched his exploits on the Balalika,brilliant!!!
[/quote]

Heh... yeah, I agree. I'm pretty sure he must be taking his wares out onstage... he doesn't strike me as your typical bedroom player. :)

He's been putting these types of covers out for a few years now, he used to post them on here. At first one thinks 'wow, how awesome! ' then the novelty fades. Then it's just some dude slapping to every song under the sun.

As you can tell it did little for me. That's not to say he's not a very good bass player, I just didn't like it.

Edited by Marvin

I thought it was quite interesting. He takes his covers to another level by playing lead/rhythm or melody/harmony parts simultaneously - which is not easy.

When I saw the thread title I really didn't want to look.... but something made me! When i saw who it was I thought I would give him the chance. I'm glad I did! B)

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1415968904' post='2605674']
These threads where we trash other artists are always completely f***ing depressing. Easily the worst thing about this forum.

Even worse than my behaviour in Barefaced threads.
[/quote]

Ha ha, agreed! :lol:

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1415969315' post='2605677']
He's been putting these types of covers out for a few years now, he used to post them on here. At first one thinks 'wow, how awesome! ' then the novelty fades. Then it's just some dude slapping to every song under the sun.

As you can tell it did little for me. That's not to say he's not a very good bass player, I just didn't like it.
[/quote]

It's not JUST some dude slapping :rolleyes:

He works out the arrangements and plays rhythm and melody... there's a lot of thought behind the choice of notes he plays and how he plays them, and he does it with flair and having fun... His version of Master of Puppets is pretty cool too.

You may not like it, and that's fine. But there is a lot more behind each version than "some dude slapping along to every song under the Sun", what a narrow-minded oversimplification :lol:

I don't think it's sad at all to give comment on something openly posted. YT is open to comments so the chap must expect that people will say something. Me, I think it sounds like a biscuit tin full of cutlery being chucked down stairs, but others seem to like it so it's pretty well balanced. I'm glad we keep ahold of our critical faculties otherwise it's just patronising.

I know where you're coming from Billy Apple. I'm totally against an "everyone smile, everyone nod," songs-of-praise type atmosphere.
That's gotta be evident from my posts on this forum over the last 9 years.
I love your argument for non-patronising comments - but on the flip side could you argue that these comments below are anything other than patronising? None could be described as constructive. Each is just laughing at the bloke:

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1415869489' post='2604568']Tbh meh[/quote]
[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1415869835' post='2604572']Well, that was a minute of my life I'll never get back...to quote someone or other: 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...'[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1415884252' post='2604794']Just watched about 30 seconds of this whilst at work, with the sound down. Interesting facial expressions. As though he's sat on a commode and, well, 'multi-tasking' whilst playing. Does it sound just as good?? ;) [/quote]
[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415914654' post='2605283']This guy needs to get over himself and learn some soul.[/quote]

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1415976301' post='2605782']
I know where you're coming from Billy Apple. I'm totally against an "everyone smile, everyone nod," songs-of-praise type atmosphere.
That's gotta be evident from my posts on this forum over the last 9 years.
I love your argument for non-patronising comments - but on the flip side could you argue that these comments below are anything other than patronising? None could be described as constructive. Each is just laughing at the bloke:
[/quote]

Fair enough, I'll define what I meant..

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1415914654' post='2605283']
This guy needs to get over himself and learn some soul.
[/quote]

I just think he's showing off for the sake of it, and technique without heart or soul (which IMHO this has neither) is worthless. It's not about cramming in notes, but about the spaces in between. That and he's just mugging it for the camera, hence the get over himself bit.

But I don't want to kill him or anything.

OK, I'll quote somebody else then: "Is that as hard to play as it is to listen to?" :D

Try that at a jam night round our way and watch how long it takes for the drummer to start playing over it... :D

I used to have a picture of Yngwie Malmsteen gurning on a small stick that was used in a Yellow Card kind of way at rehearsals for the guitarist...this is in the same league... :D