Why become a member? ×

Sleaford Mods - putting the bass back into basic!

tedmanzie

Sleaford Mods, they won't be everyone's cup of tea that's for sure but I'm a big fan.
Angry and basic. Real bass (albeit looped) on a lot of their tunes, reminded me that bass fills (and drum fills) are often just getting in the way...

[btw, explicit lyrics if you're at work or easily offended, or both!…]

[media]http://youtu.be/Wi-JClH7DZ0[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/jcvBMyy8a7c[/media]

[media]http://youtu.be/Mcb4kDqJP4Y[/media]

Edited by tedmanzie

My thoughts exactly, took me a couple of goes to get it, and then it was irresistible. Most exciting band I've heard for years.
Saw them in Brighton a few weeks ago, I didn't have my hopes up as I've seen a lot of MC's with a DJ and it's generally not very compelling, but this was completely different. Even more basic (pressing 'start' on a laptop for every song) but he is such a ferocious front man, it was excellent. I'm going to Electric Ballroom in Jan.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1415711662' post='2602896']
Saw an article about this lot in The Guardian. They remind me of John Cooper Clarke when he was at his best (Beasley Street, Evidently Chickentown, etc), and I do love a bit of gratuitous swearing :-)
[/quote]
They remind me a lot more of when JCC wasn't at his best. :(

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1415729461' post='2603181']
Radio 6 has been playing them, I liked the song Tiswas, I can see the JCC connection in their stuff
[/quote]
I can see the JJC connection but he was doing this sort of stuff over 35 years ago and was brilliant at it. Can't see the need for another but then again i never got the whole Oasis thing either. For anyone who didn't get to see or hear JCC at his pomp then i suppose it could be exciting stuff. Just one of the problems of old age. Been there, heard that. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1415730614' post='2603192']
I can see the JJC connection but he was doing this sort of stuff over 35 years ago and was brilliant at it. Can't see the need for another but then again i never got the whole Oasis thing either. For anyone who didn't get to see or hear JCC at his pomp then i suppose it could be exciting stuff. Just one of the problems of old age. Been there, heard that. :)
[/quote]

i think the music is the essential ingredient that makes it 'new', it is basic but at its best has an urgency more related to punk and post punk than hip hop.
the lyricist i sleaford mods has been around for ages apparently but it wasn't till he hooked up with the beat making chap that it got much interest.

anyone like those basic basslines?!

I used to live next door to Andrew (the laptop guy) probably the most talented musician I've ever known. He could just come up with the most amazing stuff on the fly. We all thought he'd disappear into obscurity because he never seemed to have any direction or commitment. It was great to see that he's met his match, hard to believe that's my old mate Fernie up there.
Love Sleafod Mods, hope to see them next year.