Why become a member? ×

Bassists whose tone floors you

Funky Dunky

Always really like Arthur Barrow's sound (of late 70s/early 80s Zappa fame)...I've been listening to this live album lately, his playing and sound is fantastic (the rest of the band aren't too shabby either)... Keep it Greasy (22.57) is extraordinary

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyr2cJHOi80"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Yyr2cJHOi80[/url]

Edited by JellyKnees

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1414789078' post='2593426']
Who fills you with tone envy? [color=#0000ff]Mark King (from around 1990 to 1994).[/color]
and what gear did they use? [color=#0000ff]THAT Alembic Bass, Trace Elliot valve pre-amps and Mesa Boogie amps.[/color]
Did you ever spend a fortune trying to emulate it? [color=#0000ff]Yes, about 4K[/color]
Did you get close? [color=#0000ff]No where near - a bad workman blames his tools! But my Alembic Signature is the worst sounding Bass I've owned, ever[/color] [/quote]

Edited by SimonEdward

Funny you should say that about your Alembic, Simon - I think they're horrid-sounding. I love Mark King's playing but I really don't like his tone! I haven't looked into his sound at all (all I know is the Alembic basses) and it sounds like it's chorused - yuck!!

One man's meat is another man's poison and all that - it's crazy how we as bassists never universally agree on good tone/bad tone.

Fwiw, I like tone which is 'woody' 'buttery' ' thick' 'natural' and 'well-lubricated'. None of those words really relate to sound!!

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1419775208' post='2642598']
A guy who I have really noticed of late is the bass player in Bruno Mars band, he is paying some great lines with a very tasty sound.
[/quote]

Crazy - I came on to basschat to add his name to this thread!! His name is Jamareo Artis, and I share a birthday with him! He's a marginally better bassist than I, though......

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...