Why become a member? ×

band Banter

KingPrawn

A couple of our usuals - one of our guitarists is 5'4" tall and weighs approx. 17 stone. He always walks up to his mike and says 'can you see me behind here?' usually gets a laugh.

Near the start of a gig, usually when one guitarist is tuning up, as he often does, singer will say something like 'we'll be playing great tunes from the 60s right through to this year. Hopefully you will know some of them. Hopefully we will too'

I think the best one he ever came out with was at the start of a gig - we had rehearsed with a keyboard player who then left leaving us to default to our usual format of 2 x guitars and dust off some old tunes at short notice. Singer said 'We've had to change our set at the last minute as our keyboard player has hurt his fingers. Oh, hang on, its next week he gets his fingers hurt, isn't it...'

For an encore (if we were lucky :lol: ) our singer used to ask the audience for a request and (if we were doubly lucky :lol: ) punters would start shouting out song names, at which point our singer would shout "what's that at the back?, The Killers? Mr brightside? OK then, here we go, 1,2,3,4 . . . . . ."

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1412794114' post='2572197']
A couple of our usuals - one of our guitarists is 5'4" tall and weighs approx. 17 stone. He always walks up to his mike and says 'can you see me behind here?' usually gets a laugh.

Near the start of a gig, usually when one guitarist is tuning up, as he often does, singer will say something like 'we'll be playing great tunes from the 60s right through to this year. Hopefully you will know some of them. Hopefully we will too'

I think the best one he ever came out with was at the start of a gig - we had rehearsed with a keyboard player who then left leaving us to default to our usual format of 2 x guitars and dust off some old tunes at short notice. Singer said 'We've had to change our set at the last minute as our keyboard player has hurt his fingers. Oh, hang on, its next week he gets his fingers hurt, isn't it...'
[/quote]

I can see your guy being a decent front man..
We don't bother as we don't have anyone who can really carry it off... but connecting with the audience is as much a useful skill
as being able to sing well...IMO

Yes, he was a good front man - really good at connecting with the crowd and, although not a great singer, had extreme self-confidence that shone through. If there were raffles or announcements he would always step up and take over.

[boring band story]Unfortunately a lot of the qualities that made him such a good front man I found difficult to live with on a personal level and I ended up having a finger pointing row with him just before a gig - my last one with them about 18 months ago. The most surprising thing with the whole situation was that it took 4 years with the band to reach that point. That's rock n roll, I suppose. :)

Final part of this story was that after a year the band hadn't found a steady replacement bassist and, with the arrival of his first baby, the singer decided to pack it in. The others got in touch with me and we are now starting over again with a new singer.[/boring band story]

Edited by Paul S

Along these lines, a very good singer and a very good frontman who can work the crowd is like gold dust
so you usually end up with one or the other ...
I know plenty of lead singers and I can't say I know a single one who can pull off both at this level... IME.

X factor is being able to sing and have GREAT presense,