Why become a member? ×

Roland D-Bass

LeftySteve

Well, after swapping a load of gear around here I now need a reasonable combo urgently (as in the next couple of days!).

I have been looking around on the net this morning, as usual there does not seem to be much secondhand around within a reasonable distance to collect and it's looking like I may well have to buy something new... hence the Roland D-Bass has surfaced!!!

So... anyone have any experience of these, either the 210 or 115? Any good? Should I forget about them right now?

They look as though they could be ok, in my experience Roland does not make much that is not up to the mark.

I would also be keen to hear from anyone with either a combo or 4ohm cab available within striking distance of the South West that is available to buy in the next couple of days.... all reasonable (ish) things will be considered!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by LeftySteve

Tried a 210 in soundcontrol, before I got my Mesa.... I really liked the Roland and if I hadnt been blown away by the Mesas valvey loveliness I would have had the Roland....

Great combo HUGE wall of sound. Didnt get chance to try a 115 but the 210 is pretty damn good!

Big thumbs up from me!

I use a DB500 (12" 160W). It's loud enough for most pubs and had a really nice tube tone. It seems very sensitive to poorly grounded basses though, and some of my basses buzz through when not touching the strings, although the same basses don't buzz through other amplification. Strange that!

I had a DB900 for a bit and tried quite a few of the newer DBass's they are a very pure sounding bass amp on super flat setting and grunge up quite nicely on vintage I found the compressors where the best I've heard on any amp and when teamed up with the 115x extension cab gave more volume than even a DB900, a very underated combo is the D Bass in fact the best out there IMO half tempted for another :)

Edited by Geddys nose

I've had a DB700 (15") for a few years.
The sound is great, took me about 5 mins to dial in a sound soooo close to my old Orange amp.
Its very loud, the programmable channels option is terrif, giving you effetively 3 channels to choose, 2 x prgrammable, one manual.
The compressor is great, i don't use the chorus.
it s a bit heavy (pre Neo) but haven't had to use it beyond 1o'clock on the master volume, even outside.
two cons: dodgy inputs, use a male/female jack permanently attahed to get by
permanently attached mains cable.
nodd

• 1 month later...

I tried the 210 combo in sound control about 1/2 a year or so ago & liked it. Rocking Rooster was doing them & the ext cab really cheap & was tempted to get but ended up with the MB 210 combo (which is better in my opinion).

But yes, the Roland is a very good combo albeit heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='LeftySteve' date='Jul 31 2008, 10:26 AM' post='251883']
Well, after swapping a load of gear around here I now need a reasonable combo urgently (as in the next couple of days!).

I have been looking around on the net this morning, as usual there does not seem to be much secondhand around within a reasonable distance to collect and it's looking like I may well have to buy something new... hence the Roland D-Bass has surfaced!!!

So... anyone have any experience of these, either the 210 or 115? Any good? Should I forget about them right now?

They look as though they could be ok, in my experience Roland does not make much that is not up to the mark.

I would also be keen to hear from anyone with either a combo or 4ohm cab available within striking distance of the South West that is available to buy in the next couple of days.... all reasonable (ish) things will be considered!

Cheers

Steve

Haven't tried the new 210, but had a DB700 (1x15) for a few years. I absolutely loved the sound of it, and having two programmable channels is a great feature. The compressor was great, the overdrive sounded lovely and the chorus nice and lush. The downside was it was heavy and not really powerful enough to use in anything other than a small club. It had to be on 10 on the pre and master and still struggled on a loud stage, which was a shame cos the sound was lovely and rich. It developed a fault that resulted in no sound when first switched on. This was cured by thumping the heat sink! Yeah, technical, I know. 6 months or so ago it packed up altogether and I was told the cost to replace the faulty part (the main pcb) was the wrong side of £140. I was told by the repair man that he spoke to Roland and they told him "it was a very common fault." So you might want to consider that before you buy or even speak to Roland yourself to see if the same part is fitted in the new ones.

Hello,

Just bought a DB500 and it's great. Sounds much louder than its 150W, easily gets over the top of our loud drummer. Tone is great (I use electric and double bass) and the programs mean you can switch easily between 2 or 3 sounds.

I was worried it wouldn't cope with gigs but I'm not any more!

[quote name='ardi100' post='293539' date='Sep 27 2008, 06:45 PM']Hello,

Just bought a DB500 and it's great. Sounds much louder than its 150W, easily gets over the top of our loud drummer. Tone is great (I use electric and double bass) and the programs mean you can switch easily between 2 or 3 sounds.

I was worried it wouldn't cope with gigs but I'm not any more![/quote]

It was mine, and I miss it terribly, superb amp.

Leftysteve......thoughts are with your family.