Why become a member? ×

Well, It's Been A While....

Hot Tub

Greetings one and all! I haven't posted on here in quite a while, but I have a couple of questions & I know from experience that this is the place for answers!

So, last week I bought a Spector Euro 5LX, and I'm looking for string recommendations. Yup, that old chestnut! For years (for ever?) I've been using Rotosound Swing Bass 66 stainless 45-130. The Spector is currently strung with Dunlop Super Brights stainless 40-125 and I had a bit of a problem getting the B to slot into the bridge, so I'm assuming that the heavier gauge that I prefer definitely won't fit. What are other Spector players using, and what are your experiences/recommendations?

Also, the output of this bass seems to be incredibly hot! There's no option to trim; the onboard preamp is just a black block. Is this likely to damage the input side of an amp? I'm currently gigging through a Marshall MB4410+DBS7115. I'm going to try it next week through my MarkBass CMD103H, then decide which one to sell.

As always, many thanks in advance!

If there's no trim pot on the preamp housing it must be an older model.
Shouldn't damage an amp, just adjust the input gain accordingly, or wind the volume back on the bass a tad.

I was using a .130 B string on my Euro 5 with no problems. Might be worth you looking at tapered low B's if it's a tight fit.

Edited by RhysP

I use 105-35 on my Spectors. Really don't care what kind of strings they are apart from stainless vs nickel. Stainless have a bit more sizzle but I'm not lacking that on the Spectors anyway.

The hot output won't damage an amp, but it might distort amps which are designed for lower inputs. If your amp doesn't have a variable gain control then put a preamp with a variable gain control between your bass and the amp and adjust to take the heat out of your signal. Alternatively you could use a compressor.

When setting your bass to your amp, set the volume on the bass to where you want it (most folk have it full, but some like to back off a little).
Then turn your amp down on the gain & master, plug in your bass & play whilst turning up the gain to suit the bass' output. So if using your Markbass, turn until the cliplight comes on, then back it off a touch. Don't touch these again & use the master to control the overall volume.

Oh, & good to see you're still alive. :)

Well, I bought a set of Exilirs, and sure enough the B is tapered. But it's tapered at the nut end, not the bridge end, and doesn't fit! Anyhoo, I found a set of Rotos which I hadn't used and they fit perfectly. :)

Just need to tweak the set-up and I'll be a happy boy!