Why become a member? ×

Judith Owen Tour 2015 with Lee Sklar

yorks5stringer

We were sitting in our local pub after rehearsal a few weeks ago and they had MTV on. A female singer came on and I said to the band that I thought she was pretty good and the bass sounded great - then I spotted Lee Sklar and looked her up.

Had never heard anything from her before but thought she sounded great. Would love to see that band live, will have to check out local dates :)

Edit: this is the TV show we saw. Love the band at around 10 minutes in:
http://www.vintage.tv/catch-up/video/3769020879001/

Have bought tix for November gig in London :)

Edited by molan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Star(Bass)Date: Day66 Year2015

Well last night was the Judith Owen gig down in sunny Totnes with Lee Sklar on Bass. Here's the full write-up....

Having booked the gig back in Sept last year I was checking the route last week and wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew! Various planners made the journey around 2 hours and most of it along the main route into Devon and Cornwall. Anyway, setting off around 5.30 pm and with no holiday traffic we got there in 90 minutes along mostly dual carriageway-Home to Yeovil, Honiton, Exeter, Dartington, then Totnes driving into the setting sun.

Arriving in Totnes, our route was to turn left at the roundabout ( the only one in town-I kid you not!) and that took us into an Industrial Estate. Not the B&Q type but the one your Plumber or Electrician frequents, with a PO Sorting Office at one end. We missed the next turn but go back around this deserted area of closed Units to find a few people stood outside what looks like another Industrial Unit, but named South Devon Arts Centre! This was it and we were let into a smallish unit with a Bar and a tiny stage, I've played in bigger pubs!

Reckon around 80-100 people there and it was not uncomfortably full by the end.

The gig itself: Judith played the whole of the Ebb and Flow Album plus covers of Summer Nights(!), Blue Jeans (ask your parents),Walking the Dog and Carole King's "It might as well rain until September". She's quite a demanding performer but funny and self deprecating too.
As she introduced the Band there was no Waddy Wachtel on Guitar so the Bass had a bigger place in the arrangements along with drums (Russ Kunkel played rods all night), Percussion and JO on Keyboards.

Lee Sklar played his Warwick Star Bass sat down in front of an Ampeg Portaflex and it was like having a lesson in cool tasteful playing in your front room, I must have been no more than 10 m from the stage. Due to the absence of guitar he played quite few chords and high up the neck to fill out the sound. Bit of backing vocals too, but mostly low in the mix.

After the gig JO was signing her album so I ticked that box then went to chat to Lee who was packing away his Bass. Apparently Waddy Wachtel arrived from the US with Russ and Lee last week and was turned around at Immigration. he's now back in the US with a Lawyer trying to find out why he was not admitted. (Good to know the UK Border Agency can let 3 school-kids go to join Isis but keep out a foreign musician from stealing our jobs...)
They've all recorded new album with JO and will be opening for Bryan Ferry on his Tour later this year.
Lee was gutted he was missing the London Bass Guitar Show ( said lots of his friends were playing there) and they were setting off at 8.00 am today to get up to Sheffield, if the gig in Totnes had been the day before he could have attended.

Anyway, I thanked him for his playing, not just that night but on all my favourite music of the 70's (James Taylor, Carole KIng etc etc) and got him to sign my previously autographed copy of the JO album.

So a really nice night full of tasteful playing, just a bit disappointed there was no guitar..( did I really say that?)

OH, I'm guessing this Tour is not sold out so I'd recommend going to see them if you can, my ticket was only £10
[attachment=185851:Judith.jpg]

Edited by yorks5stringer

My fault. I should have reread this thread earlier! But maybe you were talking to Lee (about Waddy) just before I had a pic taken with him? Was nearby in my Marcus Miller hat...The pic is here somewhere - posted it before I went to sleep last night! And what a nice guy he is!

Just got in (popped to a jam night afterwards), and it was absolutely spot on! Sounded fantastic, everything was very tasteful and no OTT playing, and Judith is a great laugh too!

We waited around a little bit at the end and ended up having a good chat with Lee, in good spirits as ever talking about gigs, bass, music etc etc!