Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb

thedontcarebear

Yeah, my Thumb BO was awkward. The balance was horizontal, the body and upper horn very small so the access to the nut was difficult, the pickup placement wasn't ideal for a thumb anchor (I had a 5 string), and it was heavy.

A good quality thick padded strap helps a lot to control the balance and weight.

I have a massive thick leather levy's strap that I was using with it last night (soft leather, not their normal ones, although I have one of them too which is good).

I quite like the location of the pickups for resting my thumb.

Edited by thedontcarebear

I've had a thumb BO for ages now and i cant remember ever having an issue with it, or even a period of getting used to it. It just kind of felt right from the first time i played it. How high/low do you have it?

I normally wear them at an average height, I tried it lower and higher last night, lower seemed a bit better as I could pull the neck up some and push the body down.

My old Corvette was always pretty comfortable, and so was my Dolphin, either way, it's probably gonna be third choice behind the Sandberg and Vigier anyway, but could come in handy when I want a big growly sound in the studio.

This is definitely a marmite bass.
I had one for about a year and eventually sold it earlier this year.
It's got a killer tone and is well made, but despite playing around with a comfort strapp I couldn't make it comfortable on even a 'medium' length gig.
It's not heavy, the weight was the same as my MIA P bass but the balance was awful - the neck hung horizontally whatever I did, and the small body made the first fret a fair stretch.

As I said, comfort eventually won out over sound.

Good luck.

I have a love/hate relationship with Warwick Thumbs (NT & BO).

I love the tone and aesthetics of them and yet despite owning about 5 NTs over the years I always find that when they are strapped on the 1st fret/nut position is too far away; no problem sitting down but I feel like I need my arms to be 6" longer to comfortably play down the deep end :)

Oddly enough I like a light bass and I've not found the Thumb to be a massively heavy bass (though for its diminutive size I suppose it could be lighter) nor have mine ever suffered from neck dive!

Adam, it depends what your preffered strap height is, I always had it just above the bottom of my ribs and it sat comfortably and never caused any hasstle whilst reaching down to the F's & G's, and your right, the pick up spacing is very comfortable, perfect for digging in.

It's been a long time since I borrowed my friends Thumb Bass, but I remember wearing it about 'low chest' height as I had the same problem. At one point he used to play it right under his chin, but what he made up for in back/neck comfort it lacked in the slapping arm!

Have a mess about, but don't be shy to go a bit higher than you may normally!

Rob

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='251462' date='Jul 30 2008, 04:38 PM']Maybe it's just not a bass for fattys or shortys, I am unfortunately both, haha.[/quote]

I'm both too and find my Streamer LX really comfy, they are heavy basses but its worth the sacrifice for what you gain in feel and tone compared to lesser instruments I think.

Maybe you chose the wrong model

The thumb has an odd balance, its doesn't hang the way a conventional bass would. I found you need to work with it to get comfy + a good strap. But even saying that not everyone gets on with it. Streamer and dolphins have exceptional balance imo completely different from a thumb(its a very unique bass).

The short top horn means the fretboard hangs further out to the side than on other bases. It also cause the bass to sit further towards the horizonal. Your shoulder muscles will feel the stretch at first, but you can get used to it. :)

A thick strap should help. I set the strap length so the the top horn sits just over my sternum - reasonably high.

They're strange beasties for sure, but I'm loving mine!

Edited by rjb

[quote name='The Funk' post='251631' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:44 PM']Is it also that the Thumb has 26 frets as opposed to some of the other models? (I'm not sure if that's true - but I seem to remember hearing that somewhere).[/quote]

only the NT has 26 frets, the BO has a more 'standard' 24

[quote name='The Funk' post='251631' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:44 PM']Is it also that the Thumb has 26 frets as opposed to some of the other models? (I'm not sure if that's true - but I seem to remember hearing that somewhere).[/quote]

Nah his is only 24 frets, I think only NT Thumb's have the elusive 26th fret, that or the older NT Thumbs........ermmmmmmmmm John, please feel free to correct me!

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='251636' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:47 PM']Nah his is only 24 frets, I think only NT Thumb's have the elusive 26th fret, that or the older NT Thumbs........ermmmmmmmmm John, please feel free to correct me![/quote]

My '05 NT has 26.

RB

[quote name='Josh' post='251636' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:47 PM']Nah his is only 24 frets, I think only NT Thumb's have the elusive 26th fret, that or the older NT Thumbs........ermmmmmmmmm John, please feel free to correct me![/quote]

You is correct. The NT have 26 and as has been mentioned the NT Dolphin Pro I also has 26... though who the fook uses more than 12 is beyond me :)

[quote name='ianrunci' post='251498' date='Jul 30 2008, 05:51 PM']I'm both too and find my Streamer LX really comfy, they are heavy basses but its worth the sacrifice for what you gain in feel and tone compared to lesser instruments I think.

Maybe you chose the wrong model[/quote]

I didn't really choose a model thinking I wanted a Warwick, I just have always wanted to have a Thumb bass for some reason and one came up at a decent price, my previous Warwicks I got on with fine in terms of comfort (Corvette and Dolphin Pro mentioned earlier).

I don't really want to change it though, as it sounds awesome, and the neck especially looks sweet with the grain of the wenge, plus sitting down it's comfortable.

It's funny, but one of the side effects of my new Thumb bass had been my increased noodling higher up the registers due to the fact that the action is so low and the tone consistent. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='251770' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:06 AM']You is correct. The NT have 26 and as has been mentioned the NT Dolphin Pro I also has 26... though who the fook uses more than 12 is beyond me :huh:[/quote]