Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass problem, now with pics.

gary mac

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1411903752' post='2563670']
It looks like the pcb around the 1+ connection on CN2 has ben scraped away to isolate it and the capacitor then added.
Maybe they have made speakon 2 as an output to a tweeter or some other HF unit...
[/quote]

Looking at the pic again you're dead right. :)

That'd explain why disconnecting the leg of the cap would cut the sound out totally.

Gary: remove that red capacitor and replace it with a piece of wire, shuffle the crimp connectors about to match your working cab and you should end up with two cabs the same.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1411923489' post='2563939']

That'd explain why disconnecting the leg of the cap would cut the sound out totally.

Gary: remove that red capacitor and replace it with a piece of wire, shuffle the crimp connectors about to match your working cab and you should end up with two cabs the same.
[/quote]

Will give that a go sometime over the next few days, thanks for all the help chaps. :)

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1411943078' post='2564257']
Are we sure the red component is a capacitor ? I thought it might be a MOV Varistor for Overvoltage protection ?
[/quote]

Could be but as the object of the exercise is to get both cabs working the same and this item has been added by someone other than the manufacturer it makes little difference. :)

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1411943078' post='2564257']
Are we sure the red component is a capacitor ? I thought it might be a MOV Varistor for Overvoltage protection ?
[/quote]

If large parts of the South East are plunged in to darkness later today, please presume that it was an Overvoltage protector :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1411923489' post='2563939']

[/quote]

Thanks Ian, carried out the alteration as per your instruction and very happy to report that all is good. Working as it should now. :) .

Thanks to everyone else who contributed.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1412016502' post='2564947']
This why I love Basschat!
Now Ian, I've just got this small problem trying to encourage nuclear fusion at room temperature.....
[/quote]

That's easy - just make sure the room in question is in the middle of the sun, and then carefully open the door.

As this thread is now up for hijacking... :D

I was the one who bought HarperHawk's Little Mark 2. It was sold as having overheating/cutting out problems.

I expected the overheating could be due to dirt or a failed fan. It was neither of those.

So far I think I've fixed it. That problem was down to a dodgy Speakon socket not giving good contact to the plug. So I bought a new socket from Maplin and it seems to be OK now. I'll know for sure on Friday-week when the next band practice is.

Just thought you might like to know.

Only just spotted this thread, but as someone else pointed out, the brown thing isn't a cap, it is either a varistor or thermally resettable fuse. If this has been added by a third party, it may not have been correctly rated.
Not sure about the blue one either. Doesn't look like the normal fare for a crossover. The PTC on it may be positive temperature coefficient, i.e. another protection component