Why become a member? ×

Hipshot ultralite tuners

sykilz

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1410883805' post='2554301']
I've got a set fitted to my 4003 - genuine USA - I bought mine from Mark at Bass Direct.

Really love them - they are NOT a direct fit if you use all the Hipshot parts, it does involve drilling some holes. I didn't mind, as my Ric is a bit away from standard anyway with other mods, and I wanted the most comfy and playable Ric I could get....and these help a great deal.

The weight saving is amazing, especially if your bass is quite heavy to start with - as mine is.

....and I love the look as well!
[/quote]

Stunning headstock that spongebob, I was really glad when Rickenbacker went back to the longer headstock and walnut wings. The Ultralites look the part too :)

Bought the satin USA Hipshots for my old Fender off Mark at Bass direct actually. Top guy and really helpful to boot.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1410981054' post='2555337']
Stunning headstock that spongebob, I was really glad when Rickenbacker went back to the longer headstock and walnut wings. The Ultralites look the part too :)

Bought the satin USA Hipshots for my old Fender off Mark at Bass direct actually. Top guy and really helpful to boot.
[/quote]

Thanks Miles! I must admit, I'm really happy with the look - and the incredible weight saving!

Big +1 on Mark as well - I wasn't too sure which type to go for - but Mark assured me that these would look the part for a Ric....and he was right! :P

Edited by spongebob

• 3 months later...

Not being a very bright person, I ordered the wrong size for my bass - and I measured first, so I'm obviously particularly stupid, or partially sighted... :(

Mine are the genuine USA ultralite versions, imported by yours truly and guaranteed brand spanking new, complete with washers, bushes/screws etc. If anyone is in the market please feel free to send me a PM. They are the HB6C clover 1/2" shiny nickel ones, configured for bass side (but convertible).

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1410798998' post='2553289']
Fitted a set of these to my Yamaha BB414, though it looks very different to the massive lollipop types, now I'm used to the look I quite like the look. The difference in weight ,which is why I'm posting this, is incredible, the originals weighed 100grams each, the Hipshots are 44g each, in old money the weight loss over 4 tuners is half a pound, give or take, on a bass that weighed 9lb 1oz it now weighs 8lb 8oz! Anyone thinking of buying these, do !!
[/quote]
Also: they work like a hot knife through butter. Smooooooooth is the word!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JCB' timestamp='1420477070' post='2649767']
Not being a very bright person, I ordered the wrong size for my bass - and I measured first, so I'm obviously particularly stupid, or partially sighted... :(

Mine are the genuine USA ultralite versions, imported by yours truly and guaranteed brand spanking new, complete with washers, bushes/screws etc. If anyone is in the market please feel free to send me a PM. They are the HB6C clover 1/2" shiny nickel ones, configured for bass side (but convertible).

[/quote]

Received the correct size yesterday in the post. Fitted them today to my Jaguar bass, which suffered from neck dive :(

What a difference! Neck dive completely gone, tuners smooth and accurate and now my bass weighs just 4kg! Couldn't be happier :)

The 1/2" versions, pictured above, still for sale to anyone who's interested...

When I swapped the ones on my Sandberg I went from the original clover keys to the smaller Y keys.

I don't care that it looks different - but the Y keys were another 8g lighter than the clovers (1/2" versions). On a 5 string that's another 40g.

So if you don't care about keep the exact same look, get the Y keys and save more weight.

Hipshot's clover keys are smaller than the original ones anyway. The difference between clovers and Y keys for a set of four 3/8" tuners is only 0.4 of an ounce in total (or 12 grams - about the weight of a small Christmas card). I honestly don't think it would have made a noticeable difference.

Just swapping to Ultralites from the original Fender tuners saved my nearly 8ozs. It went from weighing 9lbs 5ozs to a tad over 8lbs 13ozs - now that did make a difference, but the main benefit was the improved balance as previously mentioned. It's a subjective issue obviously but, to my eyes at least, Y keys just wouldn't look right on a Fender bass :unsure:

Bought a set of the licensed copies (3 + 1 in black) after reading this thread. Shipped very quickly from the US but got somewhat stung on the import duty though still cheaper than buying in the UK. The bass they're for is still in pieces but just fixing them up on the headstock could tell they're better than I've got on any other bass that has passed through my hands recently (apart from the headlesses :D)