Why become a member? ×

Comparing EUBs - how does the Aria SWB compare to the NS Design?

Marc S

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1412064011' post='2565203']
Have you tried getting a proper DB in an average car with 2 kids and the driver? I'm currently playing in a local music trust group / orchestra that my kids attend. 2 kids, a clarinet, a sax, my amp & EUB is all I can fit in the car!

I got my EUB purely because I don't have room for a DB, in the house or in the car.
[/quote]

I know - DB's take up a lot of space in a car, and by the time you start adding amps, cabs, cables, stands and bass guitar etc
That's a big appeal of EUB's for me
I do quite a few open-mics and local music club evenings - these are obviously un-paid
and it's just so much handier to use an EUB for these sort of events

EDIT: I also forgot to mention - I live in a 3 storey house, and sometimes have to keep the acoustic DB on the top floor
..... I really should have a roadie by my age! lol

Mind you, DB doesn't cost as much, or take up as much room as kids! ;)

A good pal of mine, who is a drummer, has 3 musician kids
and is regularly carting a full-size harp and a cello around, along with said kids..... :o

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1412076521' post='2565340']
A full sized Harp?

Blimey.

They are so heavy that I had assumed when people moved house they just left it there with the bath and the oven!! :D
[/quote]

Lol - at least no one at a gig is likely to nick one....

And yes, walbasist - harps really can sound absolutely awesome
We had said harpist perform at our wedding last December
The reception was in Caerphilly Castle
and the sound of the harp was really loud..... in a huge ballroom.... unamplified!

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1411980720' post='2564434']
SLB100 on ebay at the moment [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-SLB-100-Silent-Bass-/221557909038?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item3395e1662e"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3395e1662e[/url]
[/quote]

That's an SLB100, it's not semi hollow, it's the SLB200 that has the cavity.

I can testify about the weight, that's partly why I'm selling mine.

:)

Harpists - 90% of their time tuning and 10% of their time playing out of tune. My wife is a harpist, I could keep you up all night with harp jokes. What's the difference between a harp and a Harley Davidson? Both associated with angels, but you can tune a Harley.

FWIW I have used an NS5 for a long time and only came to like it when I put a set of Honeys on it and jacked the action right up.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1412113458' post='2565901']

FWIW I have used an NS5 for a long time and only came to like it when I put a set of Honeys on it and jacked the action right up.
[/quote]

Useful info - thanks for that owen
Did you find it more comfortable due to the lower tension Honeys?

It is a bit more comfortable for me with the lower tension, but I favour the lower tension anyway so that is personal preference for me. What was great was that I got that DBesque thud I was hoping for. Will it sound like a DB? No, it is not a DB, but in the thick of a mix when transport is an issue then I am more than happy with the thud it creates.