Why become a member? ×

NBD: Lakland JO 5 String

Josh

After a good 5 months of back and forth between myself, PMT, Dolphin Music, Fender, and Lakland, I've finally taken delivery of my new JO 5. This all started back in april when I bought a brand new american Fender jazz from PMT online, it turned out to be a dud and was also a bit broken, so after requesting a refund and returning the bass (which took about 2 weeks in itself!) I was then offered the same bass now fixed again to which I declined as I had stated I would like a refund. I was then contacted by PMT to see if there were any basses I would be interested in which I said there weren't (Fenders, Ibbys, Squiers, and Sandbergs make up about 70% of what PMT stock) to which they replied that they could get in other basses that they don't stock. So I get contacted again a day later saying that they can order me in a JO5 and that it would be on the same finance as the Fender so I wouldn't need to spend any extra money, I would just have to wait until the beginning of august to receive it.

To cut the rest of the story short, it turns out the bass didn't leave Chicago until August 8th despite being told it was already in the UK. After a lot of phone calls from me and the lack of correspondence from PMT, I finally managed to get them to pull their finger out and they actually did something right. Despite finally receiving a rather apologetic email with a £50 credit note from PMT, this has probably been my worst purchasing experience from an online store. I never want to buy from PMT online again unless it is something I truly needed/wanted and it was going for a good price.

The good news is though that the JO is amazing straight out of the box, this is my third JO and my sixth Lakland now, I can happily say they make far superior jazz basses than Fender IME and would highly recommend them to anyone :)

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1410380113' post='2548889']
It also sounds like PMT were desperate not to give you money back. Cash flow issues ? #devilsadvocate
[/quote]

First off, stunning bass!!

However, the OP did mention finance and in defence of PMT, it's not as easy as issuing a refund when technically the finance company have paid for the bass and own the item until it is paid off, even if the item is faulty.

Just for balance, all my dealings with PMT have been equally awful. They took money from me for something they said they could get but turns out they couldn't (which it turned out they'd known from the start) and then made it very difficult to give me back my money (trying to make me take an exchange for the stuff they had in stock instead!). It's a shady way of dealing in my opinion.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1410424761' post='2549229']

First off, stunning bass!!

However, the OP did mention finance and in defence of PMT, it's not as easy as issuing a refund when technically the finance company have paid for the bass and own the item until it is paid off, even if the item is faulty.

Just for balance, all my dealings with PMT have been equally awful. They took money from me for something they said they could get but turns out they couldn't (which it turned out they'd known from the start) and then made it very difficult to give me back my money (trying to make me take an exchange for the stuff they had in stock instead!). It's a shady way of dealing in my opinion.
[/quote]

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually made a conscious effort to be helpful as opposed to stringing you along for another few months whilst they still have your money. I haven't ever been a fan of shopping in my nearest PMT branch (Bristol) as a majority of the staff are just useless and will flog you anything, also the bass selection is always the same which is very underwhelming. Shopping online turned out to be worse, I wouldn't even want to buy a set of strings from them.

Even now I have this £50 credit note from them to spend, I'm somewhat anxious to see how that will turn out.