Why become a member? ×

FS/FT SPECTOR NS5XL USA

JohnnyLightyear

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='347748' date='Dec 7 2008, 10:43 AM']I've played this instrument and very nice it was too. [b]I'm wondering if the colour is putting people off[/b]?[/quote]

3 weeks before Christmas in a recession period... IMHO I don't think the colour is the problem. :)

As it happens I for one like the finish!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='347847' date='Dec 7 2008, 01:42 PM']3 weeks before Christmas in a recession period...[/quote]

Well based on my experience of having recently sold three instruments in the space of 4 weeks all for around the same price as this one, I'm not totally convinced the recession is to blame. Like perhaps a number of other watchers, I'm perplexed as to why this bass hasn't sold yet. It oozes quality.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='347846' date='Dec 7 2008, 01:41 PM']money -> mouth ? :)[/quote]

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Kiwi you'll have to let me in on the secret of your sales success!!!

When I was last in at the gallery it was round at the back among the amps rather than on the wall- apparently some people had looked but not seen it- thanks for the tip off, its definitely worth a look in!

I think the colour and finish is always going to be done to personal preference really- I bought it partly because its a beautiful piece of wood and I love the subtle finish which shows off the grain. But I suppose a hot pink refin isn't entirely out of the question!

Anyway, I'd love to move this on since higgies' DJ5 is catching my eye. I've dropped the price quite a way already, but
anyone who is more than just an interested watcher please get in touch and maybe we could sort out a pre christmas discount or something? Imagine this bad boy in your stocking!!!

Cheers,

Johnny

Hey Johnny, the only suggestion I can offer is maybe to consider a new set of strings? I seem to remember the set that was on there were a little dead and made testing the full tonal response of the instrument a little difficult.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='347901' date='Dec 7 2008, 02:57 PM']Hey Johnny, the only suggestion I can offer is maybe to consider a new set of strings? I seem to remember the set that was on there were a little dead and made testing the full tonal response of the instrument a little difficult.[/quote]

Cheers Kiwi, they haven't been changed for a while so I'll look into it (although I do think the pre still sounds pretty epic).

I must admit, I always think its strange that shops don't set guitars up better when they're trying to sell them, especially since if they play like butter first off there must be a much higher chance of sale.

I think one of my local music shops has started to oil the strings on basses that have been there a while, not sure though. I played a Rockbass Fortress in there a while back and the strings were so dead I just couldn't get on with it, I think it was the same bass I tried again recently and it was much brighter. Didn't look like new strings, just much more slippery and brighter sounding. I'm not sure what products do that, but it might be worth investigating.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='347846' date='Dec 7 2008, 01:41 PM']money -> mouth ? :)[/quote]

It's more than I want to spend on a bass really - great though it is I'm still only playing at home.
I'm kind of leaning to staying with Status as the moment as well, although I have been flirting with the idea of a Spector.

[quote name='graemecohen' post='356032' date='Dec 16 2008, 02:53 PM']Love this one :) the colour in particular!!

good luck! I'd love it if I had the money![/quote]

Cheers Graeme, there has been quite a lot of chat about the fantastic quality of spectors recently and this one is no exception.

Glad you like the colour- as I have said in previous posts I really like these natural tones and grains, but I'd be interested to get some more reaction from other members since it was mentioned that the finish might be dissuading people. Anyone?

[quote name='JohnnyLightyear' post='356718' date='Dec 17 2008, 10:30 AM']I'd be interested to get some more reaction from other members since it was mentioned that the finish might be dissuading people. Anyone?[/quote]

It's a very attractive finish, I think. Good luck with the sale. :)

[quote name='Nick Laughlin' post='356774' date='Dec 17 2008, 11:09 AM']Someone please buy this bass!

It's far too good to be sitting around unplayed![/quote]

[quote name='Weird War' post='357266' date='Dec 17 2008, 07:27 PM']It's a very attractive finish, I think. Good luck with the sale. :)[/quote]

Thanks guys, I couldn't agree with you both more!

Wow, have just read Warwick hunt's sale thread and noticed the price of spector's on [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?bf=spector&oa=prd"]Thomann[/url]. This bass is now selling there for well over £4,000, however, this remains at £1,600. Soon you won't be able to get a euro new for that- grab it while you can!!!

I am heading abroad for the holidays now so might be a bit slow on the pm's but the bass is still in the gallery so get down and have a look if you're interested.

Happy holidays, Johnny.

[quote name='ashevans09' post='368906' date='Jan 2 2009, 10:11 PM']If I hadn't just put down a deposit on an MTD... :)

Any trades you'd be willing to consider + cash?[/quote]

Hi, any deal would need to involve some cash my way as this is my reason for selling, however, I am interested in picking up a jazz bass, preferably a 5, so let me know what you have!

Cheers, Johnny

Still available!

I need a bass which I can take on aeroplanes without feeling like I'm playing baggage handler's russian roulette with my most treasured possession! I have a tour to South Africa lined up for the end of the month so would love to have replaced this by then- give me a PM if you're interested and offers, including trades and part exchanges will be considered!

[quote name='walbassist' post='372789' date='Jan 7 2009, 10:01 AM']WOW, what a stunning bass. Consider this an "I can't believe such a lush bass at such a good price is still available" bump![/quote]

Cheers Gareth, I can't believe it either. I would drop the price again but to be honest I can't really afford to do so as I bought the bass partially as an investment myself. Besides I think the price is very competitive considering the quality of what is on offer and the price of this guitar new. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/spector_ns5xl_maple_walnut.htm"]Thomann[/url] has the exact same bass, (maple/walnut) listed here for £3866 as their cut price, down from the RRP of 4925 euros, thats £4440. Since this guitar really is in as new condition you're saving around £2,200 and could have your hands on it by the weekend!