Why become a member? ×

FS/FT SPECTOR NS5XL USA

JohnnyLightyear

I'd sooner sell my soul but I can't find it at the moment, so instead I'm forced to sell my one true love...

She's a mint condition 5 string Spector NS5XL, made 2003 in Woodstock NY, walnut with oil stain finish and the classic block pearl inlays, neck thru, active EMG-40DC 18v pickups, gold hardware. I won't try and say too much about it, those who know Spector know just how good these basses are. It sounds great, the tone is very full, very versatile with that renowned Spector bite to it, and the set up is the best I've ever had from a bass- it very nearly plays itself! The only slight fault is the rubber surrounding the input socket has perished slightly, which you can see below.

[attachment=11356:IMG_0948.JPG]

[attachment=11357:IMG_0951.JPG]

[attachment=11358:IMG_0957.JPG]

[attachment=11359:IMG_0965.JPG]

[attachment=11360:IMG_0961.JPG]

[attachment=11361:IMG_0966.JPG]

[attachment=11362:IMG_0968.JPG]

Edit. for new photos:

[attachment=16164:IMG_5341.JPG]

[attachment=16165:IMG_5345.JPG]

[attachment=16166:IMG_5346.JPG]

[attachment=16167:IMG_5349.JPG]

[attachment=16168:IMG_5351.JPG]

[attachment=16169:IMG_5360.JPG]

[attachment=16170:IMG_5362.JPG]

My reason for selling is that I need to release some funds. I bought her three years ago to play studio sessions with, and have done just that. I have never taken her out gigging as I've never felt entirely comfortable doing so- I often have to rely on lifts being a car-less bass player, and taking this much bass on public transport has never appealed. The trouble is I mainly do live gigs rather than studio work these days so she is just not seeing enough daylight for me to justify keeping her given my financial situation.

I'm looking for £[s]2.1k[/s] [s]£1950[/s] [s]£1750[/s] a firm £1600. To buy one of these new is a bit tricky but Thomann are selling them for £3,310, and as she is in as new condition I think this is reasonable, although I am open to offers. I think really the only trade I would be interested in would be some sort of an exchange deal with a Jazz 5 string, although I may be tempted otherwise, so do your worst.

Viewings are welcome- I'm now based in Stepney Green, east London, but the bass is currently at the Gallery.

Cheers, Johnny.

Edited by JohnnyLightyear

[quote name='Stockholm Syndrome' post='250226' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:04 AM']Which preamp is in the bass? HazLab or Spector TonePump?[/quote]

You would never get a HazLab in any Spector from about the last 20 years...

[quote name='cetera' post='250349' date='Jul 29 2008, 01:07 PM']You would never get a HazLab in any Spector from about the last 20 years...[/quote]
Really? Then why do people always talk about how they prefer the HazLab in Spectors? It seems that they were quite common for a period.

[quote name='cetera' post='250354' date='Jul 29 2008, 01:10 PM']Awww.... Johnny.... :)

This bass is a BEAUTY! Sorry you have to let it go.... but someone could get a 'bass for life' (to use Nick's phrase) here....[/quote]
Yeah, I've been looking for a nice 5-string for a while, and Spector is on the top of my list. This one is especially gorgeous with the finish.

[quote name='Stockholm Syndrome' post='250376' date='Jul 29 2008, 12:33 PM']Really? Then why do people always talk about how they prefer the HazLab in Spectors? It seems that they were quite common for a period.[/quote]

Because Spectors were heavily used and endorsed through their pre-Kramer and Kramer periods (1976 - early 1990's) and this is when many of them had the HazLab preamps...

[quote name='Stockholm Syndrome' post='250226' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:04 AM']Which preamp is in the bass? HazLab or Spector TonePump?[/quote]

Its a Tone Pump under the bonnet.

Thanks for the comments, nice turn of phrase Nick, she is a bass for life alright- shame it looks like it probably won't be my life if the right person comes along. I'm sure there is a pun involving bass guitar monogamy and looking like mahogany which could be thrown in... :)

[quote name='Phil Mann' post='251785' date='Jul 31 2008, 12:37 AM']Good luck with the sale, it's lovely bass to play and own, if someone could come forward and take it off your hands.

Phil[/quote]

Cheers Phil,

I meant to post the Thomann link in the original post, [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/spector_ns5xl_maple_walnut.htm"]here[/url] it is.

Also, would possibly be interested in a part ex for a lakland jazz 5

Edited by JohnnyLightyear

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Golchen' post='270969' date='Aug 27 2008, 01:28 PM']It's a great looking bass, just the sort of thing I love, but that is SERIOUS money!!!

I think that it's pretty hard finding a buyer for 2nd hand gear once you get the wrong side of about £1200.[/quote]

I must admit I think my reluctance to sell is reflected in my pricing of this badboy... Perhaps it is serious money, but for a serious bass which is in mint mint condition. :) Happy to accept offers though!

Second price drop!

Reluctantly I need to move this along so have reduced from £2100 down to £1750.

This really is a top quality instrument, in terms of construction, finish, playability and tone. She is in mint, as new condition and would cost over £3,300 were you to buy it new, as you can see [post="0"]here[/post].

If you're interested in getting a Spector Euro 5 now for just a couple of hundred quid extra you could get a mint American one!

Viewings are welcome, as are offers. :)

Cheers, Johnny

• 2 weeks later...