Why become a member? ×

Bass cleaning

Snarf

How much time and effort do people spend cleaning their pride and joy? Historically I've been quite lazy and just given my basses a bit of wipe when I've wanged on some new strings. This year I was working at the Great British Guitar Show again and took my old beaten up Warwick Dolphin Pro II, which has certainly seen better days, and gave it a serious working over with some Music Nomad stuff to see how well the stuff works. Like a fool, I didn't take pictures but I really don't think they would have shown up the results well enough. The next time I clean up a bass properly, I'll have to do a diary of it because the results really were awesome. It's now spankingly shiny and the frets look new! Love it.

One tip I picked up that's good for us 'wick players to sort out those brass frets that get quite mucky and tarnished easily - use cymbal cleaner on them and they come up nice and shiny! Same with any brass hardware, Just-A-Nut and things like that. I would only use this one though, I don't know what any other brands are like [url="http://www.musicnomadcare.com/cymbalcleaner.html"]http://www.musicnomadcare.com/cymbalcleaner.htm[/url]l

I've got to say, I think this stuff is awesome. Has anyone else tried it out?

[url="http://www.musicnomadcare.com/video.html"]http://www.musicnomadcare.com/video.html[/url]

I Just make sure to wipe off any sweat after playing so the acid doesn't damage the finish.
Then I clean the instrument properly usually when changing the strings (man those things just get in the way !)
I don't spend a lot of time, but frequency varies with use. my golden rule is that It is easier to protect the finish than to restore it.

As to product, the following advice given was to me by a guitar shop and has see me all right for years, and years and years.:
Gibson Guitar Polish for shiny guitars, Fender Polish for Mat finishes.

As to the fretboard, i only clean this about once a year
- recently I've seen lots of advice online saying NOT to used lemon oil - I have used that on my previous instruments without seeing any problems, but now I am paranoid to use it !!!
there's lots of opinions but not a lot of solid facts.

Thanks y'all! I've also heard that about lemon oil and have avoided it for a while too, agreed - this is the problem that I've also come across before (not a lot of facts). I'm going to give the stuff I've got a go for a while as I found some of the cleaners I used before gave me itchy fingers and left some crap on my fretboard too, but good call on the brasso!

Off topic - TheSiberian, what's the music scene like in Luxembourg? Are there many good venues there to check out?

Hi Snarf,
Yes it is a wonderful one...Rockhal
The music scene in Luxembourg is very active and diversified. I am very happy so far.

Touchig to your bass cleaning concerns...and on a more serious note, if you intend to clean properly your bass or especially a high end bass like Smith, Fodera etc the only products that I really trust are:
For the laquered finish: Smith Pro Formula Polish
For the oil finish and fingerboard: Smith Classic Wax Polish
The lemon oil is used on a large scale for the classical stringed instruments (for the fingerboard) hence it is ok for all basses and guitars. The only problem ( which is not so well known in the Rock'n'Roll area) is that you have to put very little and not two kilos...lol ( it's not beer)
I tryed everything on the market, please believe me, and since a very long time these two products rule.
Best

Edited by TheSiberian

[quote name='Snarf' timestamp='1409929958' post='2544718']
Thanks y'all! I've also heard that about lemon oil and have avoided it for a while too, agreed - this is the problem that I've also come across before (not a lot of facts). I'm going to give the stuff I've got a go for a while as I found some of the cleaners I used before gave me itchy fingers and left some crap on my fretboard too, but good call on the brasso!

Off topic - TheSiberian, what's the music scene like in Luxembourg? Are there many good venues there to check out?
[/quote]
Use a fret mask or masking tape to protect the board tho

Thanks for the info y'all! It's all very handy. I'm starting to think I really should take more pride in cleaning my old beast. It was a mess when I got it but looks all sparkly at the moment, I've set it up nicely and it feels great after a lot of tlc.

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1409930933' post='2544734']
Hi Snarf,
Yes it is a wonderful one...Rockhal
The music scene in Luxembourg is very active and diversified. I am very happy so far.

Touchig to your bass cleaning concerns...and on a more serious note, if you intend to clean properly your bass or especially a high end bass like Smith, Fodera etc the only products that I really trust are:
For the laquered finish: Smith Pro Formula Polish
For the oil finish and fingerboard: Smith Classic Wax Polish
The lemon oil is used on a large scale for the classical stringed instruments (for the fingerboard) hence it is ok for all basses and guitars. The only problem ( which is not so well known in the Rock'n'Roll area) is that you have to put very little and not two kilos...lol ( it's not beer)
I tryed everything on the market, please believe me, and since a very long time these two products rule.
Best
[/quote]

That's great to know, cheers! I'm in Luxembourg a few times a year, it's good to know there's a good music scene there. Hopefully I'll get the chance to check it out!

[quote name='Snarf' timestamp='1410174321' post='2546728']
That's great to know, cheers! I'm in Luxembourg a few times a year, it's good to know there's a good music scene there. Hopefully I'll get the chance to check it out!
[/quote]
Hi Snarf,
PM me when you'll be next time in Luxembourg and I will invite you to have some beers and a live bass chat.
Best