Why become a member? ×

Westone Super Headless bass

Beth_rf

Hi all,
I have a Westone super headless bass that has been stripped of all it's wiring. It's the red/black version with J style humbucker pickups with wiring in red, blue, green and yellow. It is also the model with only duel tone and active on/off switch (Other variations of the bass also include a phase control)
I've already searched the Internet for a diagram but have only been redirected to the Thunder II which has wiring similar/the same as the other version of the super headless model.
If anyone out there who owns the same version as me has a wiring diagram or could take a photo of the wiring inside the bass, it would be a great help and massively appreciated.

Keeping my hopes up...
Thanks

I think this sounds like the wiring I had in my Thunder IIIA Mk2:

If I remember, the controls were (from left to right):

Jack socket (Duh!!!)
Active bass boost/cut
Pickup Selection
Active/Passive switch
Passive treble roll-off
Series/parallel switch (operates individually on pups - neck was a P type, bridge was 2 spool humbucker - both went into series/parallel simultaneously - i.e. you couldn't have bridge series & neck parallel)
Volume/Phase (on a push/pull)

My memory isn't great - the mini switches may have been the other way round. The series/parallel was, I think an 8 pole.

There was certainly a huge variation in tone available despite only one element of the tone stack being active.

Unfortunately I don't have a diagram or picture of the guts.

The nearest I could suggest is maybe a John East P-type active circuit combined with a passive treble roll-off & vol.

Just a thought.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

My Spectrum LX has the same switch configuration as the pictured Thunder IIIA Mk2. The active tone boosts bass in one direction from the centre detente and boosts treble in the other direction (sweeps the boost through a range of frequencies). I think the tone selection switch on mine is a genuine coil tap rather than a series parallel switch - the pickup impedance measured across the jack changes (as expected) and that's where the tone change comes from. The layout seems to match the Super Headless but I've no idea if the wiring is the same.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1409701904' post='2542517']
You could try PM'ing Bassasin. He might be able to help. I think he had one at one point.
[/quote]
Sadly not - a Super Headless has been on my GAS list for years, but one's yet to turn up at my local car bood for £15!

Jon.