Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1409950455' post='2545017']
I have got close with mine now , but I have to say , mine is a totally contrived and calculated piece , with a certain randomness , but no improv at all :rolleyes: , folk , Hmmmm, no , no Hmmm , no, club style it is then :o
[/quote]

Folk, eh..? There's a trend emerging..! :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :P[/size]

An instrumental from lurks; that 's a rare [s]tweet[/s] treat..! All the [s]morse[/s] more so as there are no vocals. Guaranteed to [s]chirrup[/s] cheer up any and all. It certainly gave me a [s]trill[/s] thrill. I'd applaud, but I got my palm [s]court[/s] caught on a thorn. As for suiting the picture, it definitely fits the [s]bill[/s] bill. Excellent.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167486]

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1410022746' post='2545486']
Well there's no folk in here :D , but you are welcome to tell me what you think it is :lol:

[url="https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/tweet"]https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/tweet[/url]

I hope you enjoy
[/quote]

Very entertaining! There's morte than a hint of TV sitcom theme music about it...
So far I'm headed determinedly free-form-ward with inspiration provided by the unbalanced 3 phase shown, plus Woody Woodpecker and Scooby Doo (obviously!).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1410352579' post='2548424']...Still need a genius musician to play the fecker, though :lol:
[/quote]

Sorry, Bilbo, but I'm a bit busy right now. I'd have loved to help (yes, I know, my generous nature will be the ruin of me...), but thanks for thinking of me, just the same; meanwhile...

Yours, modestly.
Douglas

Here we go!! I tried writing something for my own sax/flue - bass - drums trio and was thinking about Coltrane and Eric Dolphy because of their history of blowiing complex ideas over relatively simple changes. Obviously, birdsong was a major influence but a lot of the ideas are compromised by the fact that I am playing/programming everything. Either way, I quite like it and feel that, like all Jazz compositions, it is something that would be massively improved by being played live by real folk and used as a starting point for blowing rather than as a through composed thing.

https://soundcloud.com/robert-palmer-1/startling

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1411143759' post='2556934']
Can I just apologise for my entry this month?...
[/quote]

You can, but there's no need..! :P
I presume this was created with Audacity (... and if not, why not..?)..? :P[size=4] [/size]
I'm sure I heard this exact piece played by Matching Mole in the early '70s..! :P[size=4] [/size]
It is obvious that you are over-equipped and have too much time on your hands. :P[size=4] [/size]
2'50"..? It seemed much longer. :P

... but to end on a serious note...
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:171278]

Well done, Lenny. Now go take your tablets and a cold shower. :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :P[/size]

Audacity? Wassat? I almost called it "Takin' The P%££"...
Luckily, the length of the "song" was dictated by the length of the bass noodle I extruded.
All 3 drum tracks and the 2 keyboard tracks were done in 1 take each, as you can probably tell...
And for a change there's no samples or loops, as if anyone would be foolish enough to produce one like that!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1411026194' post='2555613']
Here we go!!...
[/quote]

Another finely honed piece from the Bilbo stable. Nicely rounded composition, a certain coherence and clarity; almost Spartan. An impudent, cheeky chirrup brings a smile, followed by a summery, marimba/steel pan guitar, combining towards the end in harmony. Nice work.

([i]Do you do lessons in composition..? No, I say that because I have this friend... well, more of an acquaintance really... who seems to have some difficulty in harnessing his creative skills. Wonderful originality, but completely anarchic. Now if you could only team up... I'm sure [s]Lenny[/s] he can be saved, but let's not fool ourselves; it's going to be tough[/i]... :lol:[size=4] [/size] :P [size=4])[/size]

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1411146582' post='2556976']
Audacity? Wassat? I almost called it "Takin' The P%££"...
Luckily, the length of the "song" was dictated by the length of the bass noodle I extruded.
All 3 drum tracks and the 2 keyboard tracks were done in 1 take each, as you can probably tell...
And for a change there's no samples or loops, as if anyone would be foolish enough to produce one like that!
[/quote]

What..? 3 drum tracks, for [i]that[/i]..? Next time, set the mics up on the stairs and push the kit down; 'twill save 2 tracks..! :P[size=4] [/size]

[size=3]([i]Although, leg-pulling aside, [/i]y[/size][i]ou're probably going to get far more votes than me, so what would I know..! :lol: [/i][size=3])[/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411147122' post='2556992']

[size=3]([i]Although, leg-pulling aside, [/i]y[/size][i]ou're probably going to get far more votes than me, so what would I know..! :lol: [/i][size=3])[/size]
[/quote]

I'm going for the Christmas no.1!
And you'll be pleased to hear I deleted 2 extra drum tracks as well as 2 drone tracks...
I'll listen to a bit less Derek Bailey and Company before next month.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1411148719' post='2557029']
I'm going for the Christmas no.1!
And you'll be pleased to hear I deleted 2 extra drum tracks as well as 2 drone tracks...
I'll listen to a bit less Derek Bailey and Company before next month.
[/quote]
:lol:[size=4] [/size]

[color=#800000][size=5][b]UPDATE:[/b][/size][/color] [b][color=#800000]before I forget... I've pushed back the deadline by one day until midnight on Wednesday 24th.[/color][/b]

I'm in the depths of Mid Wales on Tuesday and won't be a near a computer to launch the voting; hence the extra day.

That is all. As you were... ;)

[size=4][font=Helvetica]Finished! Slightly ahead of the deadline this time round… but still fairly last-minute as I’m away with work over the next couple of days, so it was now or never.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]A fairly dreary and melancholic number from me this month. No reflection on my actual mood, which is thankfully chipper. I think the image of that lone bird must’ve tugged on some forlorn strings in my psyche. Or whatever.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]Quite a simple track: a MIDI beat, a bassline, guitars and some crooning. The bass and guitars were DI’d straight into my ‘puter with no after effects (other than some compression and EQ to aid mixing them). I thought they sounded ok, so left them at that.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]All mixed on headphones, so I’m hoping it sounds alright on whatever systems you all have at home:[/font]

[font=Helvetica][url="http://soundcloud.com/skollob/on-a-wire"]http://soundcloud.co...ollob/on-a-wire[/url][/font]

[font=Helvetica]Deadline for entries is midnight on Wednesday, so there are still a few days remaining if you’re cooking something up. I’ll then launch the voting thread on Thursday.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]Cheers :)[/font][/size]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1411418294' post='2559415']
[size=4][font=Helvetica]Finished!...[/font][/size]
[/quote]

[size=4]Wow..! Not an 'easy' listen at nearly 5 in the morning, before the dawn chorus. Efficient, certainly, in the conjuring up of a certain melancholy. This was [i]not [/i]composed for a lark..!
I hear dark tones drawing from The Inching Movement of Rapidly Smashing Nails into Pumpkin's Nine Eyes. [/size] :blush:[size=4] I could be wrong. Roll on Thursday. [/size] :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411441090' post='2559531']
[size=4]Wow..! Not an 'easy' listen at nearly 5 in the morning, before the dawn chorus. Efficient, certainly, in the conjuring up of a certain melancholy. This was [i]not [/i]composed for a lark..!
I hear dark tones drawing from The Inching Movement of Rapidly Smashing Nails into Pumpkin's Nine Eyes. [/size] :blush:[size=4] I could be wrong. Roll on Thursday. [/size] :mellow:
[/quote]

Haha, cheers Doug! Indeed... it's not a "jump out of bed. throw open the curtains and embrace the day" kind of song. I'm in good spirits at the moment (cycling to work is pumping me with endorphins), but deep down there must be a maudlin inner-me just waiting to burst out and say [i]"hiya!!"[/i]... or something like that.

PS: you lost me on the '[size=4]Inching Movement of Rapidly Smashing Nails into Pumpkin's Nine Eyes' reference. Not even Google can save the day and make me seem clever in[/size] understanding that one. Is it by Val Doonican? :D

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1411465426' post='2559703']...
PS: you lost me on the '[size=4]Inching Movement of Rapidly Smashing Nails into Pumpkin's Nine Eyes' reference. Not even Google can save the day and make me seem clever in[/size] understanding that one. Is it by Val Doonican? :D
[/quote]

Nah, nothing so smooth..! It's a mash-up of R.E.M, Smashing Pumpkins and NIN, which is what I picked up from the playback. I'm not sure (yet...) if that's complimentary or not; I'll listen again this evening.
Enjoy your break; a change is as good as a rest...