Why become a member? ×

Has anyone ever taken a substantial break from playing?

Veils

I haven't been in a proper band since 2009, but I still play more or less every day. It sucks, as I'm probably a better player now than I ever was. :) It's just that there's not many bands who want to play original progressive metal locally who'd be willing to deal with a hairy 42-year-old with two kids and no desire to get signed or any of that sort of thing (been there, done that, didn't like it much).

[quote name='Veils' timestamp='1409008635' post='2535552']
Well I'm very close to having an arrangement to pick up a Ray35 which I've found here in Mexico for about 500 quid.........then I'm well and truly on the comeback trail!!!
[/quote]

JUST DO IT!

Note: Ray35's are a good choice, I have one that it's well put together and sounds great.

Stopped playing from about 94 - 11 so about 17 years and then decided to go out and get another bass and resume. After three years of reasonably regular gigging my playing is way better these days because the huge gap gave me plenty of time to completely forget all the bad playing habits I had developed . Main issue these days is lugging the cabs around and arthritic fingers!

I stopped playing for about 14 year due to family commitments. It was only when my son decided to learn bass that I started again. But because he was doing bass I also started guitar so we could play together. I found that this helped with bass as well.

I don't think I've got rusty over the break and if anything am a better player now. In two bands and would like to do more.

If I could go back I wish I'd tried to keep the playing going without a break. Advice if you have, then pick up a bass and get playing. Find other musicians and form a band. It's just great.

Stopped for about 18 years. Played loads (all be it not that great) in my teens. Couldnt find a band at uni and just stopped playing and got into other stuff. Id sold everything except my old yamaha bb1100s and was on the verge of selling that 3 years ago when I started playing it again and really enjoyed it. Now enjoying my band gigging fairly often and am a better player than I ever was in my youth (although still rough round the edges).

I had a "Divorce Enforced" sabbatical for 10 years that finally ended last summer.

I now play with two very different bands and to begin with I was very ropey. After a year playing with some of the best musicians I have ever worked with I am finding my playing has improved far better than I was before (I am still not great but I am enjoying it immensely and trying things that I would not even have considered in the past).