Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB424X / BB424

Samfordia

[quote name='Samfordia' timestamp='1408292355' post='2528694']
Yeah they do seem to look a lot cooler. Although the red one may look better without.

Is there any real need for a pickguard on a bass? Is there any real reason for having them?
[/quote]

Yeah, not too sure about the red one... That would look better with a white plate I reckon, as would the sunburst!
The pickguard, as it's name suggests, protects the body from being scratched by the pick. On some basses, such as the revised Fender Precision, it serves as a mount for the controls.

Nah, you'd have to be a pretty aggressive pick player to achieve any real damage! Most light scrapes you can buff out with a bit of T-cut anyway.

I think pick guards hark back to the times when most/all guitars came with either natural wax/oil finishes or nitrocellulose finishes which are much less hard wearing than modern poly finishes.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1408391395' post='2529773']
Nah, you'd have to be a pretty aggressive pick player to achieve any real damage! Most light scrapes you can buff out with a bit of T-cut anyway.

I think pick guards hark back to the times when most/all guitars came with either natural wax/oil finishes or nitrocellulose finishes which are much less hard wearing than modern poly finishes.

Truckstop
[/quote]

This. I'm sure most pickguards today are there for aesthetics rather than anything else.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1408450796' post='2530236']
Yeah I have a 424x and I'm looking for a brown 1024x. Hens teeth though!

Truckstop
[/quote]

I've been in touch with the Yamaha rep I met at the LBGS and he confirms this. All of the X basses are in extremely short supply at the moment. I was considering 'upgrading' to a 1024x but then realised there was nothing about the 424x that I was unsatisfied with so I'm sticking with these for a while. Incredible basses for the money.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Samfordia' timestamp='1408451077' post='2530241']
In a place now and there's a Yamaha labelled as the following:

Yamaha U90 BB424 Black PROTO TYPE - EX ARTIST

Is this different from the usual 424 found?
[/quote]
Is that pmt in manc? I played that one if so and it sounded nice but had quite a bit of damage.
Just got a 1024 in caramel brown. Yamaha BBS are great basses. I got mine brand new in a trade in deal but if paying cash think the 424 is a bargain

[quote name='Samfordia' timestamp='1408624795' post='2531906']
Yeah that's right, PMT. I'm no expert but the E string sounded like it was on a separate instrument.
[/quote]
I thought it sounded really nice but was really banged about and they were asking top price for it. I'd rweccommend a 424 to anyone thomann still have them under 300 bargain me thinks

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1408901015' post='2534462']

Ain't that the truth!
[/quote]
Indeed, like a mug I got a great feeling jazz,put some Dimarzio pups in cost me just over £600, then picked up a used BB414 on here for £150, and haven't touched the jazz since, the Yammy blows it to pieces sound wise, though the jazz feels nicer.