Why become a member? ×

Advice, and recs, acoustic basses?

Pixiechick23

My husband is after an electro acoustic bass. He's more of a guitar player than bassist but he does play both. Any recs on something that's decent but within the 200-250 price range? Can't really afford to go too expensive but he's been after one for quite a while and doesn't know where to start.
Cheers lovelies!

Shameless plug, but if he wants to play with others this is ideal:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/242441-fs-tuscany-spider-resonator-bass-with-case/

Over-budget, but if you don't need the case it would go for less.

[color=#A4A4A4][size=3]Posted Today, 04:53 AM[/size][/color]
[color=#282828][size=4]My husband is after an electro acoustic bass. He's more of a guitar player than bassist but he does play both. Any recs on something that's decent but within the 200-250 price range? Can't really afford to go too expensive but he's been after one for quite a while and doesn't know where to start.
Cheers lovelies! [/size][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][size=1][color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]"Before you go out there and try to conquer the universe... get your act together."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]- Gene Simmons[/size][/font][/color]

[b]Basses I own:[/b]
[i]Custom made black bass, no brand[/i]

[i]Swift bass - white[/i]

[i]Tanglewood Warrior 3 - mahogany[/i][/size][/color]

[i]Ibanez EXB 404 - wood finish [for now][/i]

Hello Pixiechick

One of your best bets might be the Fender T-Bucket acoustic. I love mine. They go for $399.00 new, but there are used ones floating around. Not sure of UK price and availability though.

[url="http://www.samash.com/fender-t-bucket-grand-concert-acoustic-electric-bass-f8081000x?cm_mmc=GoogleShopping-_-Bass-_-Channeladvisor-_-Fender+T-Bucket+Grand+Concert+Acoustic-Electric+Bass&utm_source=GSH&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Channeladvisor&CAWELAID=1890812360&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=500002510000023430&cadevice=c&gclid=COn9w6vN-b8CFahj7AodeTkA4Q"]http://www.samash.co...CFahj7AodeTkA4Q[/url]

For one, they are medium scale and if he is a guitar player he will be appreciative of that.

[size=4]FENDER T-BUCKET REVIEW BY ED FRIEDLAND[/size]

Fender’s new T-Bucket Bass is a small-bodied entrant to the genre, with tasteful hot rod-inspired graphics and electronics by Fishman. An unplugged Bucket won’t send you running for earplugs, but its smaller, Grand Concert-style laminated mahogany/ maple body works well for close-miking in the studio, and when you do plug it in, its diminutive profile also helps reject feedback. The 1.650” nut width gives the 32"-scale neck a comfortable feel, and the dual-action truss rod makes accurate adjustments easy and effective. The onboard preamp is Fishman’s Isys III system, with volume, bass, mid, and treble controls, as well as a built-in tuner/mute function. The EQ is flexible enough that you’ll only have to twist a knob to go from bright grind to warm, upright-like thump.

I took the T-Bucket out for several acoustic-oriented gigs and was pleasantly surprised at how well it fulfilled the bass function, and how easy it was to play. On a Django-esque guitar trio gig, rolling off the highs, bumping up the lows, and plucking by the fingerboard gave me a texture that came close to an upright tone—the medium scale length gives the bass just enough tubby-ness to help simulate the doghouse. (A set of nylon tapewound strings would have nailed it.) On an acoustic singer-songwriter gig, I played with more treble; the zing of the factory-supplied Fender Phosphor Bronze strings blended nicely with the acoustic guitar, while still supplying a welldefined bottom in support. To be honest, I am not usually a fan of acoustic bass guitars. I’ve found only a few that I enjoyed playing, and I wouldn’t take most ABG’s to a real-world gig. But the T-Bucket is an exception: A modest, laminated acoustic instrument whose easy playability, familiar neck, and flexible electronics go a long way toward making this hot rod ready to race.

[color=#000000]And here is mine:[/color]

[color=#000000][/color]

[color=#000000]Best of luck with it - whatever you end up choosing![/color]

[color=#000000]BassHappy[/color]
[color=#000000]www.innertainment.net[/color]

Edited by BassHappy

I'd recommend sticking to your budget and try and buy something second hand from the Basschat for sale section. Electro acoustic basses devalue quickly and buying second hand will mean you can usually get back what you've paid for it, and you'll get a better instrument for less money. They generally sound the same plugged in thus there is no real value in getting and expensive one. Acoustically, all electro acoustic basses sound weedy and won't keep up with an acoustic guitar volume-wise, but are fine for practicing or noodling at home.

Just IMO.

Good luck with the search.

Out of the few I`ve played, the Fender Kingman was my fave - but then I`m Fender nuts so no surprise there. Was loud enough to do a radio-session unamplified, though the studio was rather small. Certainly it would need an amp for any kind of venue bigger than a spare bedroom. But playing wise, sound, and build quality, all good.

[quote name='Pixiechick23' timestamp='1407146005' post='2517661']
My husband is after an electro acoustic bass. He's more of a guitar player than bassist but he does play both. Any recs on something that's decent but within the 200-250 price range? Can't really afford to go too expensive but he's been after one for quite a while and doesn't know where to start.
Cheers lovelies!
[/quote]

I can't recommend any specific models as I haven't played any acoustic basses in ages, but if you get a chance to try before you buy, pay particular attention to how the E string sounds in relation to the other three strings regarding volume and overall tone. A lot of less expensive ABG's suffer from a noticeably weak output from the lowest string .

Edited by Dingus