Why become a member? ×

Gary Numan I assassin tour 1982. Interesting band

police squad

Numan rates this as one of two low points in his career (the other being the Machine + Soul era). He subsequently stated that he wanted to compensate for his lack of confidence in his own technical abilities by getting in great session players, but that the result wasn't very satisfying. Personally, I love the "Music For Chameleons" single from this era, but find the rest of the "I Assassin" album to be a turgid mess.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1405704919' post='2504550']
Numan rates this as one of two low points in his career (the other being the Machine + Soul era). He subsequently stated that he wanted to compensate for his lack of confidence in his own technical abilities by getting in great session players, but that the result wasn't very satisfying. Personally, I love the "Music For Chameleons" single from this era, but find the rest of the "I Assassin" album to be a turgid mess.
[/quote]

I'm not an expert on the subject but I didn't think Pino was that well known at this time - the Numan album predated his work with Paul Young. I read that Pino was brought in because of some disagreement with Mick Karn, I think on the album reissue sleeve notes. Wasn't Pino in Jools Holland's band with David Sanborn at this time in NY? Interestingly a very youthful Jools interviews Numans mum and dad on the clip, his mum bemoaning the size of the bass player's feet and the lack of suitable shoes in the US (being responsible for the band's clothes)!!

I was under the impression that Pino was already well known and admired as a session player at this point, although the Paul Young stuff is what projected him into the big time. Would love to have heard Mick Karn playing on Music For Chameleons, as I always find his playing to be more "liquid" sounding than anyone else in that style. I'm not actually a fan of fretless playing in general, but absolutely love both Japan and Karn's collaboration with Pete Murphy of Bauhaus (Dali's Car).

I love the bass work on Music For Chameleons, White Boys and Heroes and We Take Mystery To Bed, some of my favourite Numan stuff, I keep winding his current bass player up by saying I think he should bring them back and do them live again.....I keep getting told to sod off!!

I have a feeling that Pino wasn't well known at the time and this album certainly put him in the limelight, I cannot think of anything he played on prior to I Assassin that was commercially successful

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1405727913' post='2504855']
I'm not an expert on the subject but I didn't think Pino was that well known at this time - the Numan album predated his work with Paul Young. I read that Pino was brought in because of some disagreement with Mick Karn, I think on the album reissue sleeve notes. Wasn't Pino in Jools Holland's band with David Sanborn at this time in NY? Interestingly a very youthful Jools interviews Numans mum and dad on the clip, his mum bemoaning the size of the bass player's feet and the lack of suitable shoes in the US (being responsible for the band's clothes)!!
[/quote]

Doubt it very much as Jools' was peripheral and Marcus Miller was MD, with Sanborn being the host... Jools H seemed a gatecrasher
to get it Uk airplay..???
The band had Omar Hakim, Philip Saisse, MM and Hiram Bullock if that was the series I always saw...!!
Dep for MM was John Barney who was a NY guy known for his MM take-off...