Why become a member? ×

A First!

The other band I play in plays classic rock covers, we do all the usual tunes including 'Emerald' by Thin Lizzy, great tune IMO. Rocks up to the practice having learned it but simplifying the ending so I don't tread on the widdling guitarists toes. First run thro' and I get 'too many notes' on the riff that doubles the guitar run. Err thats hows its played Dave. I then get well can you just root note it, it sounds better! I had to laugh I have never ever been accused of playing too many notes in any situation, not that kind of bass player. After spending time on this tune and simplifying the end to give him space to widdle, I get this. Even the keys player was having a wee chortle! Anybody else had this nonsense playing the tune as is and getting 'too many notes' from Mr Widdle Fest.

Ask him to make sure he has tissues if he wants to w*** his fretboard... Haven't had that kind of comment in 30 years of playing lead, rhythm, and bass guitar in various sorts of bands, but maybe being big and fat helps :-)

When I was in a covers band I insisted that we play the songs as closely as possible to the original recordings as I feel that's what the audience expect and what they want to hear, for their money. It was suggested on one or two occasions that I simplify or otherwise change a bass line on one or two songs (essentially to make it easier for the stupid lazy bastards who couldn't be bothered to learn the material properly in the first place) and I always refused, point blank.

Anyone who wants to change a song that has a seminal bassline in it played by a world-class bass player in a well-regarded band on an international hit known to millions of people because he or she thinks they know better themselves is nothing more than a pissant in my book and should be lashed until they drop.

Edited by discreet

Hmm. One minute we're slagging off tribute bands because 'what's the point playing a carbon copy' and the next minute we're slagging off someone wanting their own slant on a song.

Sounds to me that this is less about how to play the song and more about a personality clash. I guess it also depends on whose band it is.

No personality clash at all Flyfisher, just a desire to play the correct bassline for the song. Root notes would have just sounded sh1te. The unison run with the guitars as Blitz said is the defining characteristic of the song. Its the lead players band so I could be a good little bass player and do what I'm told. On that day Satan shall skate to work. LOL

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1404833010' post='2496187']
Hmm. One minute we're slagging off tribute bands because 'what's the point playing a carbon copy' and the next minute we're slagging off someone wanting their own slant on a song.
[/quote]

Nope, I have no problem with tribute bands. They should be playing carbon copies - it's what they do.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404824480' post='2496047']
When I was in a covers band I insisted that we play the songs as closely as possible to the original recordings as I feel that's what the audience expect and what they want to hear, for their money. It was suggested on one or two occasions that I simplify or otherwise change a bass line on one or two songs (essentially to make it easier for the stupid lazy bastards who couldn't be bothered to learn the material properly in the first place) and I always refused, point blank.

Anyone who wants to change a song that has a seminal bassline in it played by a world-class bass player in a well-regarded band on an international hit known to millions of people because he or she thinks they know better themselves is nothing more than a pissant in my book and should be lashed until they drop.
[/quote]

Not for me... I'd wait until I heard the world class player and then the 'world class player' trying to emulate the world class player's lines
along with the world class drummer etc etc etc...

If it works, it works but if it doesn't then you just look... and sound... lame.
You should really know the difference.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1404844515' post='2496348']
Not for me... I'd wait until I heard the world class player and then the 'world class player' trying to emulate the world class player's lines
along with the world class drummer etc etc etc...
[/quote]

Well that's the problem, isn't it? The chances of finding really good musicians who are up to playing the songs very close to the originals is practically zero. Which is why I don't play in covers bands any more. Got closest with rock covers - a really very good guitarist and drummer - but unfortunately they were timewasting arseholes, so they may as well have been crap.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404824480' post='2496047']

[/quote]

Oh yes! This! And this again!