Why become a member? ×

6 String Dilemma

Oliver Roden

Recently went to the local music store to look into buying a new bass and for nothing more than a laugh I picked up an Ibanez SR506 just to try out a 6 string for the first time and It just clicked, it was effortless to play and I loved having the extra range.

But the dilemma is now that the local music stores dont really stock any other 6 strings, and I dont yet want to commit to buying the SR506 not knowing what other 6 strings are available second hand fora similar price.

Anyone have any suggestions of 6 string basses that i can look into?

This is part of the modern retail experience & buying “on-line”! — It is hard enough to try a good range of regular basses never mind 6 strings.

I am luck that I have a pair of Status 6 strings that really suit me. Of the sixers I have managed to try in the Manchester shops the Ibanez (not sure if it is the same model as you) was good & I really liked the Far East made Spector 6. I have never seen a Yamaha 6 never mind tried one (but would like to) & the MTD Kingston look good (need to try and get down to Bass direct to try).

But you have to travel to the other end of the country to try stuff or take the risk to order something on line & not get on with it (in theory though you can send stuff back that doesn’t suit you — but that’s a PITA)

Brendan

Oliver,

Bass Direct is only 30mins drive for you. There's probably the best collection of (hi-end admittedly) 6ers there than anywhere else in the country.

But, if the Ibanez bass 'clicked' for you, I'd go with your instinct...

[quote name='Oliver Roden' timestamp='1404469630' post='2492866']I picked up an Ibanez SR506 just to try out a 6 string for the first time and It just clicked, it was effortless to play.

[/quote]If an instrument feels and sounds 'just right' it's probably safe no to overthink it (trying to demo everything else out there) and go with your gut. You can always upgrade the electronics if needs be, although the Barts and the circuit on the SR506 aren't too shabby at all.

I'd say: if you like the Ibanez bass you've found a good bass. The most awkward thing when getting into six string is getting used to the string spacing. I prefer all my basses have 3/4" spacing at the bridge, just like a J- or P-bass. That makes the selection more narrow. Basses with closer spacing are more common and mostly less expensive too. I had a Matt Pulcinella Level 6 before, and now a Yamaha TRB JP2 - both 3/4" (19 mm) spacing...

Hi Oliver

All wise words above, and it may well be that the Ibanez is the one for you, given how it clicked so immediately with you. Nevertheless, as bassmayhem says, the single biggest factor to consider before parting with any cash is what string spacing you really prefer. From memory I think Ibanezes are very narrow at the bridge, so it might be a good idea to find out whether this is your thing, or whether a wider spacing might suit you even better. As it happens, I also live in Brum and you are very welcome to pop over and have a go on my MTD KZ6 (see avatar pic), which has wider spacing - 18 or 19mm, I am not exactly sure which. I picked up this bass 2nd hand from eBay and upgraded it with Nordstrand pups, which have made it apocalyptically loud and aggressive, so it's a fun bass to play. Anyway, pm me if interested!

Edited by GrammeFriday

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1404743786' post='2495289']
I also live in Brum and you are very welcome to pop over and have a go on my MTD KZ6 (see avatar pic), which has wider spacing - 18 or 19mm
[/quote]
You gotta love BassChat, what a great bunch of helpful folks there are here; group e-hug :D

I have to agree with he others. If you felt comfortable with the Ibanez, I say go for it. I've owned my Ibanez SR885 for 20 years and it still sounds great.

However, something you should keep in mind. Ibanez generally have narrow string spacing and lower scale lengths in comparison to other brands/models. Not necessarily, but it could present some transition time to move to a different brand/model.