Why become a member? ×

P Bass Epiphany

Paul S

Everyone carries an idea in their head of what their perfect bass sounds like, I suppose. For me, my ideal is the perfect Precision and in recent years I've spent a small fortune buying, selling, trying out most conceivable combinations. A casual glance at my feedback tells the story! :) I have been gradually assembling a bitsa which, until last night, was my go-to bass as it is the closest thing to my perfect bass. MIJ lightweight body, Mighty Mite Jazz neck, Wizard Trad pickup, P-retro, Hipshot A style bridge, La Bella flats.

A week or so back I bought on here an '84 MIJ Squier medium scale Precision. White faded to cream, white plate, Jazz width neck, rosewood board, ridiculously light. A previous owner had installed Fender original pickups and it was strung with La Bella flats. Using at home I found it hard to put down. Used at rehearsal last night - it is *the one*. Just perfect. Light and comfortable, I really love the medium scale, the sound is *exactly* the tone I have in my head. Unusually, everyone else in the band commented on the sound. 'Of all the basses you have played this is the nicest'

Thought I'd share the joy. Obviously it is horses for courses as this has done the Basschat rounds a bit but, for me, it is my perfect bass.

:)

[size=2](I'll probably keep the others, though)[/size]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1404302250' post='2491284']
Everyone carries an idea in their head of what their perfect bass sounds like, I suppose. For me, my ideal is the perfect Precision and in recent years I've spent a small fortune buying, selling, trying out most conceivable combinations. A casual glance at my feedback tells the story! :) I have been gradually assembling a bitsa which, until last night, was my go-to bass as it is the closest thing to my perfect bass. MIJ lightweight body, Mighty Mite Jazz neck, Wizard Trad pickup, P-retro, Hipshot A style bridge, La Bella flats.

A week or so back I bought on here an '84 MIJ Squier medium scale Precision. White faded to cream, white plate, Jazz width neck, rosewood board, ridiculously light. A previous owner had installed Fender original pickups and it was strung with La Bella flats. Using at home I found it hard to put down. Used at rehearsal last night - it is *the one*. Just perfect. Light and comfortable, I really love the medium scale, the sound is *exactly* the tone I have in my head. Unusually, everyone else in the band commented on the sound. 'Of all the basses you have played this is the nicest'

Thought I'd share the joy. Obviously it is horses for courses as this has done the Basschat rounds a bit but, for me, it is my perfect bass.

:)

[size=2](I'll probably keep the others, though)[/size]
[/quote]

I am with you. I have a number of medium scale Fenders - P, J, PJ, Stu Hamm and Acoustic - and I must say it is gratifying to see someone else so thoroughly gratified.

Kudos to you - may that honey of a bass create hour after hour of joy and satisfaction for you and yours. There is nothing like the feel and the sound of a killer medium scaler to get your juices pumping!

BassHappy

Edited by BassHappy

Thanks all. Here are a couple of pics.

[attachment=166084:pbassmed1.jpg][attachment=166085:pbassmed2.jpg][attachment=166086:pbassmed3.jpg]

Here enjoying the sunshine :)
[attachment=166087:pbassmed4.jpg]

And here lined up to show how the scale length varies:
L>R my bitsa P Bass, new medium scale and short scale 'Mustangmaster'

[attachment=166088:pbassmed5.jpg]

I had a Silver Series Squier P Bass for a while and it was absolutely lovely. :) I kind of wish I hadn't sold it. What colour is your one, Rog? Any pics?

The main difference is the scale length, which on this is 32" compared to 34" on the Silver Series - in that last pic you can see the longer 34" scale length 'typical' P Bass. I find the medium scale length particularly comfortable to play, don't know why as I don't have short arms or small hands. The neck is similar width to yours - narrow by P Bass standards at 40mm. The body is very slightly smaller and quite a bit lighter. As I recall my Silver Series was around 8lbs, no heavyweight by any means, but this is around 7lbs. This has had a pickup change done - now sporting Fender Original - and I'd say the Silver Series pickup sounds more like this Fender Original - one of the best things about the Silver Series Precision is the tone.

They were made about 10 years apart, too - this is an '84, I think Silver Series were '93/94 or thereabouts? Similar build quality between this and Silver Series, too. I've read that later 80s ones weren't so hot but they returned to form when producing the Silver Series. Certainly the Silver Series Precision and Jazz I have owned indicate this is so, both were fine intruments. I actually think it terms of value for money the Silver Series Precisions are unbeatable - I paid nearly twice as much for this fella as I did for the Silver Series. But, then again, I don't think they made many of these medium scales so I guess that commands a premium. I am glad I jumped - I was hesitant to start with.

Thanks for the info, mine's sunburst & rosewood, I got it from a girl who bought it new but didn't really use it, nice bass but I'll probably move it as I want to build
A bitsa jazz to match my 62RI CIJ fretless, very impressed with it though, thanks again