Why become a member? ×

Any Janek Gwizdala fans ?.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='245120' date='Jul 22 2008, 10:15 AM']Here's a link to a really good interview with him, it's very informative, I think anyway.

[url="http://www.globalbass.com/archives/oct2001/janek_gwizdala.htm"]http://www.globalbass.com/archives/oct2001...ek_gwizdala.htm[/url][/quote]

Hi Kevin,

Yeah, read that a few times. I think it was done when he was a lot younger as both a player and person...new to the States etc. His attitude seems to have changed somewhat since.

There's some wicked stuff of him on 'Bass Vault' if anyone's a member on there.

He's a trully awesome musician, and i think he's a hugely understated composer. His albums are far more musical than any other bass players albums in my opinion.

Thanks for the link though...i'd forgotten about it :)

Thanks for that, never realised he was home schooled... He's a great guy and a phenomenal player, I've been to a couple of his clinics and always have to scrape my jaw off the floor by the end of them.

If you've not checked these out then I'd recommend them, some are a bit self-serving but there's some good stuff in there -

[url="http://gwizmon.podbean.com/"]Janek Gwizdala Basscast[/url]

[quote name='Rayman' post='247770' date='Jul 25 2008, 01:06 PM']He's a wicked player, and a nice bloke too. He's one of these irritating (in a good way) people who can play loads of different instruments, and play them well.[/quote]
FWIW, I remember he and Steve Lawson both seemed to rub some people up the wrong way on this forum and Bassworld.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='248293' date='Jul 26 2008, 09:59 AM']FWIW, I remember he and Steve Lawson both seemed to rub some people up the wrong way on this forum and Bassworld.[/quote]

Yeah, he seems to be a bit of a 'marmite' kind of guy within this scene and what not. I personally try to look through it all and listen to the music, but it's hard to put aside some of the stuff people say about him, as well as some of the stuff he puts forward.

No doubt about it though, as far as talent is concerned, he's by far one of the most gifted players out there, his composition and knowledge of it is immense...seriously, you have to speak with him or read some of his stuff and just appreciate how switched on he is when it comes to that!!!

I think he'll definately flourish as he gets older though, and he's certainly great inspiration for us all, i certainly find him inspirational.

Going back to that interview though...i think he comes across as being far more enthusiastic and open minded about everything in it, and back then...but now, after having had lessons with him and kept up to date with him online stuff, he seems to have hardened up a bit and become more focused. I guess that's part of being in the industry for a number of years and becoming more savvi to it all, as well as having learnt what to ignore.

Bit of a wrothless rant i know...but he's great to listen to and to learn from!!!

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='249007' date='Jul 27 2008, 05:44 PM']I thought it was the other way around, people on here criticizing them publicly.[/quote]
probably a bit of both to be honest mate, I couldn't tell who was to blame for that.

On a more positive note :huh: I'm a fan of Janek's stuff. I need to get round to ordering his new album at some point. I recall hearing some samples of it and really digging the recording... and the sound of the recording. Two condensers mounted on the ceiling of the bar I believe. I may need to explore that as a recording option.

He's one of the more 'lyrical' bassists out there. For example, [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG7VfRS-Row"]this video[/url] I think is melodic and tasteful. He has good technical facility (as you'd expect!) but he doesn't overdo it (IMO).

Went to see him and his band in Epsom of Easter of last year. Was a lot of fun, and very inspiring; just great musicians doing what they do and loving it :) I was so impressed with Elliot Mason (the horn playing multi-instrumentalist). The stuff I'd heard previously really didn't do him justice, or perhaps he'd evolved more since the recordings I'd heard.

Mark

From what I've gathered from his TB forum he's not too pleased with how 55 Bar have handled the selling of his CD. I recall him mentioning he may be looking into a better option for folks buying. I more or less wait for stuff to go onto itunes before I buy nowadays, for the convenience of not having CDs.

Mark

I bought the album through the 55 bar, it got here fine, just took a while...well worth the wait though guys.

It's an awesome album, some great composition on it, and some trully beautiful stuff.

Janek is an awesome composer!!!

Mark - i think he did just use two condesers yeah, the volumes are a bit low, and you hear the snare when the bass is pushing, but it's trully awesome to hear how these guys can convey Janek's ideas. Tim Miller sounds great on the album too!!!

[quote name='mcgraham' post='249129' date='Jul 27 2008, 09:14 PM']From what I've gathered from his TB forum he's not too pleased with how 55 Bar have handled the selling of his CD. I recall him mentioning he may be looking into a better option for folks buying. I more or less wait for stuff to go onto itunes before I buy nowadays, for the convenience of not having CDs.

Mark[/quote]

I know lots of people are the same, but I like to have the CD, and packaging.

There's also the fact that my computer blew up, (literally, sparks, a bang and smoke !), earlier in the year, taking with it hundreds of photos, and thousands of songs.

I had a problem getting my copy, it took about a month, but it really is an excellent album.

I have to be honest, Tim Miller doesn't do it for me. I like/love his tone, I like how he makes the guitar sound almost keyboard like in parts, and his slower phrases are very gentle and convey a nice mood and atmosphere. Beyond that, his playing doesn't really interest me and doesn't jump out as massively creative.

Oddly enough, I had a similar feeling about Gwilym Simcock when he played with Janek in Epsom. I found his playing to be highly educational; you could really hear progression and movement in his soloes, each having good general shape, but they just didn't interest me.

Mark

Interesting stuff Mark. I guess it's just down to preference. I wasn't really listening to Gwilym Simcock much when i saw him with Janek at the 606, but he certainly complimented the music and the group. Gary Husband was insane on the drums :)

I think you'll like the new album though mate...som great stuff on there!

:) I will pick it up at some point. Although I've not been listening to much jazz from that scene as of late.

I really liked Mystery to Me, although :S ... I found that after the initial enjoyment factor, the songs started to blend together. In a nutshell, I just feel like there's not enough lasting distinctiveness about each/any of the songs, i.e. a composition that will endure or keep me humming it for years to come. I'm not sure whether anyone else has felt something similar.

Mark

I don't really know. I personally love it just as much now as i did when i first heard it, if not more really. I find the composition to be something that i really connect with, and i'm always learning something new or having to work harder to work out something from the album.

I can't say it's become 'old' to me yet. Usually i listen to something a lot for a while and then i get bored of it and it stays like that for a long time, but 'Mystery to me' is still in my top 5 most played.

I've spoken with some other bassists who have this album, and we all agree that 'Mystery to me' is probably one of the best composed albums from a bassist that we've heard.

That all having been said, I do see what you're saying though Mark. I think the new one will improve upon the old one for the points you've brought out...as yes, i guess the last one can sound all to similar at times!

With regard to composition, it's definitely one of the best albums composed by a bassist out there, at least in jazz.

Laurence Cottle's albums are also amazing. I would've said that the songs on his albums were composed by a horn player rather than a bassist. Maybe he is a horn player... or maybe he didn't actually write them but rearranged them. I'm not sure, but I do love his stuff.

Mark

Ahhh...i've not got any of Laurence's albums, i should get them though. Janek used to spend a lot of time with Laurence though didn't he, and Janek also writes great horn parts, i guess it's clear to see where Janek gets a lot of his influence from then!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='249439' date='Jul 28 2008, 10:54 AM']Ahhh...i've not got any of Laurence's albums, i should get them though. Janek used to spend a lot of time with Laurence though didn't he, and Janek also writes great horn parts, i guess it's clear to see where Janek gets a lot of his influence from then![/quote]

They were/are available as a free download from his website.

I got to see him a few months ago at a masterclass at ICMP, he's now on their teaching staff and available for private lessons there. :)

He's a great player but I find his writing a little 'embryonic'. I think he is still in a learning phase with his writing for horns and can see his ideas are only just starting to develop. Compared to people like Gil Goldstein, Maria Schneider, Django Bates, even Dave Holland etc, his horn writing is relatively simplistic but, hey, he is still developing as a composer. He is clearly highly motivated as both a player and composer and I wish him well. I will be listening.

I like Janek's writing a lot , and he's a great player. His solo set at Bassday 06 was superb :)

I know he ran into some "issues" here for whatever reason, but I've met Janek twice and he's always been very friendly and nice.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='249860' date='Jul 28 2008, 06:41 PM']I like Janek's writing a lot , and he's a great player. His solo set at Bassday 06 was superb :)

I know he ran into some "issues" here for whatever reason, but I've met Janek twice and he's always been very friendly and nice.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

He did that gig minus his drummer who'd been delayed somewhere on a plane. He spent all afternoon in front of a laptop programming Pro Tools in order to do the gig.

Top bloke, his mum was nice too (no not like [i]that[/i]).

Issues with people here were blown all out of proportion at the time, by people who didn't "get" what he was trying to say.