Why become a member? ×

Vox AC50 & Foundation Cab 1960's New Old Amp Day

ash

Since being a pasty faced teenager looking in an old Bells catalogue I've lusted after one of these. Yesterday I finally picked a YOB one in excellent condition with valve rectifier and original 18" speaker cab and I'm not disappointed - here it is with my ''74 Gibson Grabber.
The amp sounds incredible. Though the speaker probably needs a recone as it farts at higher volumes. It still shifts a surprising amount of air however and doesn't weigh the equivalent of a buffalo.
It's lovely and my aim is to use it for recording and possibly even a gig or two.

Edited by ash

The original speaker is a Celestion and there are no rips or damage however it's rated at 50 watts so obviously unless you stack 'em it's not going to take 50 watts of valve amp! I'm thinking of replacing it with a more contemporary 18" - any suggestions? Here's a pic of the type installed.

Once I've got it sorted I'll attempt some sound clips ;)

Celestion make an 18 used in the current Trace Elliot 1818 cabinet. It handles hundreds of watts. Also check out North Coast Music and their reproduction Vox Foundation cabinet . It has an 18 with a monster-size magnet and big voice coil.

Maybe something like this would work as a gigging solution (seller has other vox lookalike offerings including a 1x18 125w fane),

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOX-PEAVEY-2-x-15-bass-cab-/191220166976?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2c859c3140

pimped with peavey black widow drivers, and you could keep the 1x18 cab original for the studio (the modern drivers might not have the same PCD and hole centers for mounting as the original)

Maybe also worth considering building a cab designed around a modern driver, and then using period appropriate grill cloth and detailing so it looks the part, but the performance isn't compromised.

[quote name='Gweedo' timestamp='1403966567' post='2488163']
You ain't getting that in my car mate...can barely fit that fireplace/frying pan/office desk/zepplin of a bass in as it is! :yarr:
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum Mr Gweedo I thought you were supposed to be at work? ;)