Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK

waynepunkdude

i have both the atk400 and the srx700.

i was going to get rid of the atk due to the srx but now, after reading this thread, i am going to keep the two of them.

i also have a K5 which i am still trying to get to grips with.

i love ibanez, i would like to get into fenders but i just feel that they are too run of the mill for me (flaming starts), where ibanezes have more personality.

[quote]this is something that annoys me. ibanezes are SO underrated, i'd go for an ibanez over a fender, gibson, lakland etc. any day. they're much cheaper for a better quality - £350 worth of ibanez will buy you a fast neck, lightwieght bass with three band EQ and bartolini pickups new. £350 of fender will buy you a bog standard mexican precision or jazz new. and people still choose to buy fenders! AGHHHH!!!! (by the way, i've got nothing against fenders... they're just completely over rated)[/quote]

Yeah +1.
But I also considered Ibanez for their (quite unknown) Custom shop !
I have a BTB 5 custom that I sell for the only reason that I play more on 4 string basses than 5er.
(also sell an ATK 405 but not offering it on this forum due to posting fees)
For sure, as few people here, I prefer ATK basses sound than Musicman one.

Moreover, I also play Fender precision, which is quite different. But Ibanez :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='252260' date='Jul 31 2008, 07:12 PM']This is the colour I'm going to buy.

[/quote]

i think this colour would look brilliant with a rosewood fretboard, but i really dont like it with the maple... to me it just doesn't work. i'd say natural ftw, but its really common in natural and i know you like your bright coloured basses lol (look at your signature for proof!)

[quote name='lwtait' post='253727' date='Aug 3 2008, 02:08 PM']i think this colour would look brilliant with a rosewood fretboard, but i really dont like it with the maple... to me it just doesn't work. i'd say natural ftw, but its really common in natural and i know you like your bright coloured basses lol (look at your signature for proof!)[/quote]

I'm not a huge fan of natural as you say I love my bright colours look at the bright yellow P-bass I'm building.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1338071979' post='1669397']
See... the trouble with you Wayne is that you fall victim of your own restrictive preconceptions and go through your life wearing horse blinkers. Why? I don't know, but be that a lesson of life to you that as much as you were suprised that an Ibanez could be such a good bass, that there are a million other things out there that unless you try, you will never know what you're missing.

[/quote]

I have had about 100 basses since then of all types, I just know what I like.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've owned 4 ernie balls and think the ATK range compare more than favourably with them. When you count the price difference then the ATK wins hands down...

I've always like the look of the ATK range but have never had the opportunity to play one.
I was reading through the thread ATK club on talkbass and have been gassing after one even more.
Plus there is an ATK 400 on ebay at the mo, which is calling out to me.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1338467154' post='1674985']
I've always like the look of the ATK range but have never had the opportunity to play one.
I was reading through the thread ATK club on talkbass and have been gassing after one even more.
Plus there is an ATK 400 on ebay at the mo, which is calling out to me.
[/quote]

I've got an ATK 400 if you want to give it a try....

Ah, the "Stingray Killer", these are mighty fine basses indeed! Not sure if they've changed them since I last looked (and I shall check later) but I prefered the older models with the J pup in the neck. Never really been a fan of a single pickup in the bridge.

As for Ibanez on a whole I have two BTB's; 556MP (discontinued 6-string), 405QM (Older model 5-string before they used Bartolini mkII's) and I used to own an Oddball of a bass: Ibanez RD505. Strangely the RD was made for a single year to take over the ATK but then they discontinued it and re-made the ATK.
It had SD Basslines (J / MM) and yielded a sheer amount of power for it's price. Also had the most amount of tension for a 34" scale. Shame I don't have it any more.

All of the above basses have served well and for the price the build is fantastic! You can have your string mm's off of the last fret and get great tone all along the board, after you've set it up to take it. :-)