Why become a member? ×

G&L ASAT FS (NOW SOLD!)

tonyf

Howdy all,

Up for sale is my US made natural maple neck G&L ASAT. After weeks of ummming and arrring (do you spell it like that?), I'm moving this on because I need funds to myself a 3TSB Precision (either Japanese 62 reissue or HW1) and, as I've got another ASAT (semi hollow honeyburst) which I prefer to this solid body, have decided to sell this to fund it.

I think it's a 1993. The serial is B025*** which is approx 1993 according to the G&L website ([url="http://www.glguitars.com/chronology/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/chronology/index.asp[/url])

Made in the USA to usual G&L specs, two passive humbuckers into an active preamp with bass/treble/vol controls with miniswitches controlling pickup selection, series/parallel and active treble boost/active/passive. Loads of tonal options but all of them great sounding. Tonally, it carries the Leo Fender heritage, great woody authoritive sound and what's best described as a really phat sounding precision on steroids vibe. Guess the only reason for moving it on, apart from having another to cover the ASAT thing, is that it's sonically all I wanted from a Precision only it doesn't look or feel quite like one. Neck profile is pretty fast and comfortable, round and ultra familiar but more precision like than jazz if I had to describe it. Width at the nut is 1 1/2 inches as I once had to measure it for Beedster when we were talking P's.

Unfortunately, there's no G&L case as there wasn't one when I got it.

Asking price is around the £600 mark.

Alternatively, as it's a P I'm after, I'd also be interested in a Fender Precision or Lakland Bob Glaub if there's anyone out there who want's to trade.

Please feel free to PM me if there's any queries.

Cheers
T
[attachment=11021:_DSC4457.jpg]
[attachment=11018:_DSC4449.jpg]
[attachment=11019:_DSC4452.jpg]
[attachment=11020:_DSC4454.jpg]
[attachment=11022:_DSC4459.jpg]
[attachment=11025:_DSC4462.jpg]

Edited by tonyf

[quote name='martthebass' post='244047' date='Jul 20 2008, 09:03 PM']Dammit Tony, tempting me like that....................must.....resist[/quote]
Mart,

<TICKLE TICKLE....EYES UP YOUR PRECISION...>

Go on, be a devil...! :)

T

Naturally I can only say how fantastic this bass is and Tony is a fool to be selling it. You can confide in that it will be in fantastic condition and sound great too. I babysitted this bass for 2 weeks and it does so many sounds...

Hey, Tony - where's my £10 ?

[quote name='Sibob' post='244276' date='Jul 21 2008, 09:55 AM']Is it only a Precision you're after as a trade?

Si[/quote]

Hi Si,

Yes mate, it's Precision lust I've got and there ain't no cure.

Saying that, a Sunburst Bob Glaub Lakland would do nicely too but it's probably unlikely there's many of these floating about spare! ;-)

T

[quote name='TPJ' post='244279' date='Jul 21 2008, 09:58 AM']That is lovely!

Do the ASAT have a contour where your right arm rests on the body?[/quote]

It's not contoured on the top but there's a "beer gut" cutout on the back which I'm making use of now that I'm in my forties, married, have a child and spend a lot of my time watching TV and drinking too much!

See the pic for the radiusing on the body. To be honest, I had to look at the pics myself as I've ever noticed the lack of forearm cutaway as the body is so comfortable.

T

[quote name='tonyf' post='244298' date='Jul 21 2008, 10:34 AM']Hi Si,

Yes mate, it's Precision lust I've got and there ain't no cure.

Saying that, a Sunburst Bob Glaub Lakland would do nicely too but it's probably unlikely there's many of these floating about spare! ;-)

T[/quote]

Ok no probs, am looking to shift my Lakland 44-02 Deluxe soon maybe!
So if you have a change of heart :)

Good luck
Si

[quote name='martthebass' post='246389' date='Jul 23 2008, 08:25 PM']Thank god for that - I was starting to weaken.
Don't ever decide to trade/sell the ASAT semi (aptly named).[/quote]
It's not a crime to admit your innermost lusting! Go on, let yourself go! lol

Regarding the ASATs, it was one of those terrible "which one of your children would you want to keep" type questions!

They're both absolutely wonderful basses and the differences are surprisingly small despite the one being semi-hollow. Guess the only reason I've decided to sell the Natural is that it's closer to the Precision (that i'm hoping to replace it with) tonally and feel wise than the semi and I've gotta admit I love the honeyburst.

It'd make a perfect replacement for a 2004 MIA Precision. :)

T

Tony,

I'd love to let the MIA P go but......................it's a shade over 8 pounds, sounds just like Thin Lizzy and is my goto bass for just about every gig (The Jazz and Ray generally only do 'guest appearances' at jam nights) - it's taken me 20 years to find one as nice as this! I can see why you want one. I think the solid ASAT would start to weigh me down half way thru the last set (The Ray does - just over 9 pounds). Last year when I was on a Warwick Thumb, a MM Sterling and a Lakland - I'd have laughed myself sick if someone told me I'd end up mainly playing a P bass.
Dammit please someone buy this ASAT quick!

[quote name='martthebass' post='246484' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:16 PM']Tony,

I'd love to let the MIA P go but......................it's a shade over 8 pounds, sounds just like Thin Lizzy and is my goto bass for just about every gig (The Jazz and Ray generally only do 'guest appearances' at jam nights) - it's taken me 20 years to find one as nice as this! I can see why you want one. I think the solid ASAT would start to weigh me down half way thru the last set (The Ray does - just over 9 pounds). Last year when I was on a Warwick Thumb, a MM Sterling and a Lakland - I'd have laughed myself sick if someone told me I'd end up mainly playing a P bass.
Dammit please someone buy this ASAT quick![/quote]

Mart,

How odd. Yep, had two of those three basses you've mentioned (couple of early Thumbs and a lovely Sterling) but like you have come back to a Precision as THE bass that I feel most comfortable with. In my case, it's taken me most of my playing career to realise that a Fender P is what works for me.

In terms of weight, the ASAT ain't that heavy. It's solid but not overwealming and sits very well on the strap. Unlike the Thumbs, the small body doesn't result in the bass feeling neck heavy.

Thin Lizzy! Phil Lynott, god rest his soul, was such an underrated player.

T