Why become a member? ×

Giving up playing instruments.

xgsjx

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1402604687' post='2475332']
Religion wise, I can't help. However, I do believe that when you have a talent you should not be rash to dismiss it.
[/quote]

Yes - surely all natural talent is God-given isn't it? So it would be wrong to deny it. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1402605376' post='2475340']
Yes - surely all natural talent is God-given isn't it? So it would be wrong to deny it. :)
[/quote]

"The blues is the Devil's music." and fiddle players learn at the crossroads.

The discussion between God and the Devil is as old as religion. There is no answer. You either have Faith or not. If you don't then you have one set of answers, if you do then you have another. I beieve all you can do is respect the decision that has been made.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1402608521' post='2475382']
You either have Faith or not. If you don't then you have one set of answers, if you do then you have another. I believe all you can do is respect the decision that has been made.
[/quote]

But I do have faith. In people. However I find it very difficult to have faith in the supernatural, which is probably what I've really been trying to say and probably why I should have kept well out of this thread in the first place! :) I hope the OP finds what he's looking for. In a good way - not in a U2 way obviously. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1402517624' post='2474402']
There's one thing to practice & get good at something & to ask God for help with it, but if the athlete is like me & spending all their time on that one thing & none on God, then that is putting my trust all in myself & none in God. Therefore that object is becoming an idol & taking the place of God.

I might join a worship band in the future, that would depend on where I'm called to be.
[/quote]

TBH I'd be more inclined to look at that from the perspective of that "footprints in the sand" story.

Och min I dinna ken! Sounds like you think you're obsessed by playing bass (music). There's nothing wrong with that as I'm sure there are many people on here that wish that was all they were obsessed about.
If you are putting music before your family, work, God in that order, then maybe you need to chill for a while to see how it pans out. I have a friend that sells his gear nearly every 6 months because he's 'giving up'. Then he has to go out and buy more stuff the next month which of course costs more than he got for his old gear etc.
Don't sell your stuff. Put in the loft or something. then in 6-9months you still feel the same and have not missed it, sell it.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1402604687' post='2475332']
The first being that some strong Muslims believe that stringed instruments are too sexual and that music containing them are evil.

The second - thinking back to my devout Christian Mum (God rest her soul) that was devastated as I stopped playing the oboe as she felt I had a musical gift from God.

[/quote]

I hope it's not any of 'ist to find the notion of the follower of a faith which finds string intruments 'too sexy' and yet plays the oboe somewhat grin-inducing. Maybe I'm thinking too much of Peter Cook summing up as the judge in the Jeremy Thorpe trial from many years ago. Anyway, I digress (and apologies for any offence, if caused).

I guess no words from us will affect the outcome so I hope you find fulfillment in your chosen path.

To the OP do what feels right and not what you think is right. It doesn't actually matter if you regret you decision later, that's when you decide to come back to the fold.

To the rest of the posters in this thread, there are some great agony aunts amongst you. Felt like I was reading Dear Daphne.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1402640646' post='2475498']
I used to have faith in people... but that was before I spent any length of time on public transport.....
[/quote]

Ah yes - the problem with public transport is that it's used by the public.

I did exactly what the OP says....I quit & didn't come back for about 9-7 years but music is in my blood, I came back through just love for it.

Sometimes its better to step away & stop. if you come back great, if not, you may end up finding something else that will fill the void.

My break was a great tonic & I came back a better more balanced player, I have learned what I need to & I now only play to make myself happy.

To the OP I hope you find what you are looking for matey

It's your choice, ultimately. I have christian friends and band members who wouldn't dream of giving up their instruments (they do also play in their church band). I dont get it personally, why not then say it is time to give up TV or sport any other thing people profess to be false idols. But that just an opinion and you should do whatever makes you happy.

Or you can have the best of both worlds, like this person on our local music scene:

http://www.nsechurch.org.uk/

http://www.thisonegoesuptoeleven.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/Gipsy.Eyes.Band

Combining Church work and love of music (and he is a very tasty bassist to boot).