Why become a member? ×

Carvin Players

CMR Bass

Are there many Carvin players out there? I've just picked up an beautiful 5 string exotic koa 5 strings to replace my GMR. It's the first Carvin I've played let alone actually own and I have to say I am very impressed. It's a beautiful neck thru 35.25" flamed koa model with an ebony fretboard. The slightly longer scale length really tightens up the strings and gives the bass such a punch and tone that I've heard from no other bass.

Are there any other Carvin players out there? Which basses were you playing before and what made you switch to Carvin?

Look forward to hear from other players out there!
[attachment=164518:IMG_0450.JPG]
[attachment=164519:IMG_0451.JPG]
[attachment=164520:IMG_0453.JPG]
[attachment=164521:IMG_0462.JPG]

Thanks Ray, yeah they are rare as hen's teeth. I'm really fussy when it comes to instruments and go through basses like no one's business. This bass really has so much going for it that it could be a keeper. I prefer neck thru 5 strings, exotic woods, active/passive, ebony boards, USA made, boutique basses and this has it all. The neck is slightly wider than my previous GMR 5 string basses along with a longer scale length but it's not a major noticeable difference but there definitely is in TONE!
I've never tried or even seen any other Carvin basses but the Bunny Brunel, Sekou Bunch & Brian Bromberg basses do look great. It seems that players with an initial B in their name can only play a Carvin - haha :o)

Hi John, thanks for posting a reply.
Yeah the SB series seem like excellent basses from what I've read; I think it is pretty hard to beat Carvin on quality. The only bass that I think could out-do the build quaity of the one I have is probably a Fodera. Yeah I've heard that Bass Gear are now stocking Carvin which is a good move. They've also got a nice Fodera Matt Garrison model in stock but the probem is I don't have £6.5k, wish I had.

Since 2008, so 6+ years.
Here's the full story.
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3725-carvin-marleaux-bb75-custom-made-bass/page__hl__carvin

I swapped the pre-amp for a 3-band Glockenklang one a couple of years ago and that has made it even better. There is a very personal story attached to the purchase of this bass and as I said above, it's going nowhere.

Edited by BassBunny

To the OP:

How long have you had that bass and where did you get it? It looks very like the one that I owned for a while and sold to Pinball on here.... It had a few previous owners too - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177749-sold-beautiful-carvin-xb-75p-5-string-bass/page__hl__carvin

It's a gorgeous bass with a fantastic range of tones and it is very playable - top choice, and certainly the best five string I ever owned. Sadly, I just found that five strings was not for me...

Of course, if this is a different bass - forget what I just said! :D

Edited by Conan

Hi Conan, I bought it from a guy off ebey only just recently. I know the previous owner is a member of bass chat but I'm not sure of his username. It very well could be the same one. Do you have the serial number, that'd confirm it. I doubt there's many of this particular model around. If it's had a few owners it hasn't seem much use as it's in beautiful condition.

Edited by CMR Bass

No, I don't take much notice of serial numbers I'm afraid - but the bass was certainly in immaculate condition. Like you say, there aren't many of these around - which is odd as they are extremely well made, great to play and very nice sounding.

If five string basses were my thing (or I had more perserverance) I would still have it! ;)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1402162959' post='2470651']
To the OP:

How long have you had that bass and where did you get it? It looks very like the one that I owned for a while and sold to Pinball on here.... It had a few previous owners too - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177749-sold-beautiful-carvin-xb-75p-5-string-bass/page__hl__carvin"]http://basschat.co.u...age__hl__carvin[/url]

It's a gorgeous bass with a fantastic range of tones and it is very playable - top choice, and certainly the best five string I ever owned. Sadly, I just found that five strings was not for me...

Of course, if this is a different bass - forget what I just said! :D
[/quote]

Same one Conan, its an absolute peach. I loved the sound and had Status Half's on it. Nice and light too. I went back to playing 4's for a while and traded it for an Esh. I have very fond memories of it.

[quote name='CMR Bass' timestamp='1402165621' post='2470702']
Yeah, she's an absolute beaut! I've just restrung it E-C with 28-95 D'Addario round wounds. I've never played a bass with as much growl as this one.
[/quote]

I saw it on ebay and the think the add was way off as I was pretty sure it was a 2000's bass. That means it benefitted from Carvin upgrades in the late 90's, which included great pups. It's in the Carvin Museum as Dougal's bass here: [url="http://www.carvinmuseum.com/playersgallery/xb75.html"]http://www.carvinmus...llery/xb75.html[/url]

I rate it as on a par with anything else that I tried. Congratulations on a nice bass

Edited by Pinball

• 1 year later...