Why become a member? ×

Cutting a 210 in half?

Maude

Evenin' all :) .

This may have a really simple answer but probably not, or contain too many variables, or maybe it won't, but probably will :D .

In short can I just cut a 2x10 cabinet in half and the resulting two halves be the correct internal volume for the drivers?

In long, I use an Ashdown Perfect Ten mini rig (head and two 1x10 cabs) for monitoring when I go through the PA, really useful as they can be placed behind or in front of me, or one of each, or one to the side, you get the picture. Very small venues I have used just the one cab. They are easy to carry as singles, blah, blah, blah!
The head is 60w and I've recently picked up a Five Fifteen mini rig which is 100w but uses a 2x10 cabinet and I was thinking of making it a twin 1x10.
The woodworking is not a problem and I may make some nice bespoke cabinets and rehouse the head but I wasn't sure if one driver needed half the volume in the 2x10 cab or if they 'shared' the volume, so to speak, ie would one driver need a bigger internal volume than half of the 2x10.
I'm interested in buying different drivers so none of the 'Ashdown drivers are crap' please, it was cheap and it sounds how I need it to but I could do with the versatility of twin 1x10s.

Another question is, does the shape of the internals matter, within reason? I mean would a cab just over 10" wide but taller or deeper to make up the volume be the same as a cube, the present cab is not ported so no port tuning depths to worry about. I realise a tall, wide, pancake cab with the driver almost touching the rear panel would be probably bad, or maybe not, here I go again.

Anyway, I look forward to your helpful replies :) .

Edit: Forgot to say that the 2x10 cab is not seperated in two by an internal baffle, that would answer my question :ph34r:

Edited by Maude

The biggest issue with this type of modification is likely to be the porting, and you do not have any, so it should work for you. However, there is a health warning that one speaker will give you less than half of what you got from the pair, but you probably already know that from your current se-up.

David

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1401660794' post='2465702']
If I was going to go to the trouble of making some nice bespoke cabinets then I'd look for suitable design for the chosen driver and start from scratch, not base it on a sawn-0ff 210 cab.
[/quote]
If you are thinking of buying new drivers then this really hits the nail on the head.

There are plenty of designs for self build, these are a good start
http://billfitzmaurice.com/
http://greenboy.us/fEARful/index.html

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1401660794' post='2465702']
If I was going to go to the trouble of making some nice bespoke cabinets then I'd look for suitable design for the chosen driver and start from scratch, not base it on a sawn-0ff 210 cab.
[/quote]

This. While sawing an existing box in half may work, I'd find a DIY 1x10 design and driver (with published specs so you can model the box) you like and just build a couple of new boxes, unless you really like the current cab's sound.

I once tried this and cut a Traynor 4x10 in half attempting to make a pair of 2x10's, but the construction was so bad (OSB, butt joints and staples) it basically fell to bits after I cut it in half and it ended up in the bin. I should've just sold it and put the money towards a couple of decent drivers.

The original post should have read [i]not [/i]interested in buying new drivers, sorry.

The amp and cabs sound fine but I wanted a two 1x10s rather than a 2x10.

The two 1x10s are 16 ohm where as the 2x10 is 4 ohm and the 1x10s are narrower than the 2x10 so the bigger head won't sit on top. I don't want to mix and match anyway as I will sell whichever rig I don't use.

I don't plan on just sawing the cab in half, that was just a simplified way of asking about the volume.

The wood is free so no cost involved, if it doesn't sound good I will just house back in the original cab and sell on, keeping the two 1x10s.

Another way of asking the question would be if you were to build a single cab with any given driver, would the internal volume need to be double for a twin cab with a pair of the same drivers. Or is there a rough rule of thumb where volume goes up or down in ratio to the number of drivers.
I just want general guidelines to cab building,

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1401729408' post='2466274']
Another way of asking the question would be if you were to build a single cab with any given driver, would the internal volume need to be double for a twin cab with a pair of the same drivers. Or is there a rough rule of thumb where volume goes up or down in ratio to the number of drivers.
I just want general guidelines to cab building,
[/quote]

AFAIK, basically, yes. Since it's a sealed cab there's no port to worry about, so you should be able to build two boxes, each with approximately half the internal volume of the existing cab.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1401779683' post='2466657']
Damn! That was the good bit.
[/quote]

As I said, I don't plan on [i]just[/i] sawing the cab in half ...................... I plan on sawing it half, whilst standing on one stilt, holding a pig under my arm which is playing the 'Dukes of Hazzard' theme on a banjo, and I'd better do it quick as after 60 seconds all the pyrotechnics are rigged to go off!

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1401819073' post='2467251']
As I said, I don't plan on [i]just[/i] sawing the cab in half ...................... I plan on sawing it half, whilst standing on one stilt, holding a pig under my arm which is playing the 'Dukes of Hazzard' theme on a banjo, and I'd better do it quick as after 60 seconds all the pyrotechnics are rigged to go off!
[/quote]
I would pay good money to see that!

Yep half the volume is right. the shape matters in that it affects the resonances in the cab, avoid haveing any two measurements being similar and a cube is the worst possible shape for a cab. However cabs are a compromise and with small cabs there is a real problem in squeezing in a 10" dia speaker into a few litres and making an easy to carry shape, so few practical cabs are the 'right' shape and you may have to put up with a few resonances.

Cool, thanks Phil, and everyone else :) .

I'll probably make up a pair of cabs and try it out, my son wants to help with a home project after getting into his D tech at school, if it doesn't work out then we've still had some fun and got some fire wood ready for winter :D .