Why become a member? ×

What, no back-up?

Guest MoJo

Never broke a string at a gig, but broke a machine head once, and a few weeks ago my D string went dead and farty half way through the second set. Just had to soldier on with it, but I'm probably going to start taking 2 Basses from now on.

Silly not to, with 2 Bass Players 7 or 8 Basses in the house. Just seems a bit pretentious to me to have 2 on the stage at pub gigs.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

I take a spare bass - Hohner B2V cricket bat bought specifically for the purpose as it's not a significant extra load in the car (and it doesn't even need a stand). Ditto a Crate PB150 as a spare amp.

Edited by tauzero

Guest MoJo

Like many others, we play predominantly in tiny pubs. There's barely room for the equipment I need let alone another bass on a stand. If I did take a spare it would have to sit in the car outside unless I wore it on my back

Guest MoJo

See what I mean.....that's my rig squashed up against the wall

[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/20140509_212859_zpsokegnfya.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w614/markmojo1962/20140509_212859_zpsokegnfya.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Guest MoJo

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1401561194' post='2464811']
No P.A ?

Small, but seen worse. anbody tried to fit a band in at the Black Horse in Hinkley ?
[/quote]

Vocal PA only

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1401554355' post='2464711']
See what I mean.....that's my rig squashed up against the wall

[url="http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/markmojo1962/media/20140509_212859_zpsokegnfya.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Two guitarists with a 4x12" each, "playing predominantly tiny pubs"??? :o

Edited by mcnach

Guest MoJo

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1401613953' post='2465149']

Two guitarists with a 4x12" each, "playing predominantly tiny pubs"??? :o
[/quote]

Yeah....It is THAT loud, hence the extension cab under the combo. That said, we've never been asked to turn down and received nothing but positive feedback. We're not as loud as some local bands I've been to watch

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1401614184' post='2465153']
Yeah....It is THAT loud, hence the extension cab under the combo. That said, we've never been asked to turn down and received nothing but positive feedback. We're not as loud as some local bands I've been to watch
[/quote]

If you are playing with people who can operate a volume knob, that set up can work perfectly well. It's just that in my experience those people are hard to find, but if you did... don't let them go!!! :lol:

I often use two cabs in situations where I could do with one... but on the one hand, I'd rather have more than I need than being short (if transport is not an issue), and I like a vertical stack to get a speaker closer to ear level. Once I only had one speakon cable (forgot I had taken one out to try something at home), so one cab ended up being just a stand. Lost the floor coupling but close to the back wall it seemed to work fine.

I've played with my share of extremely loud guitarists and that left me somewhat traumatised, so when I see a set up like that I tend to run away :P But I'm aware some people can still be sensible with volume (you say you're loud, not that you demolish pubs, so you must be doing it ok ;))

Guest MoJo

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1401615366' post='2465168']

Where ? Cant see it is what I mean, and theres no room for more kit.
[/quote]

I think the PA speakers were in line with where I was standing to take the photo. I stand up on the 'riser' with the drummer, the guitarists stand on the floor in front and the vocalist stands forward of them. You can see where his mic stand is in the photo

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1401615375' post='2465170']
I've played with my share of extremely loud guitarists and that left me somewhat traumatised, so when I see a set up like that I tend to run away :P But I'm aware some people can still be sensible with volume (you say you're loud, not that you demolish pubs, so you must be doing it ok ;))
[/quote]

It IS disturbing... :D I can't help but think there is one more guitarist than is necessary and definitely two 4X12 rigs more than is necessary... but looking at a pic isn't the same as hearing a band, so kudos if it's working out. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401615854' post='2465178']
It IS disturbing... :D I can't help but think there is one more guitarist than is necessary and definitely two 4X12 rigs more than is necessary... but looking at a pic isn't the same as hearing a band, so kudos if it's working out. :)
[/quote]

exactly! :) :thumbsup:

I am sure that some sound guys also think I carry more stuff than necessary at times, when we play gigs with a couple of other bands and I show up, move aside the 1X15" combo provided and stack my two cabs, when I'm going to be DI'd anyway. But when I can carry both cabs, amp head and bass at once, I don't mind doing that and being able to hear myself on stage well and play happily.

Once we were playing in a pub and the sound guy (PA for vocals only) sees my rig "oh, you're not going to need all that, you're going to be too loud and we can't be too loud here" etc etc, all worried. I listened, smiled and pointed at my volume knob "don't worry, I also have one of these, I'll only be as loud as you want me to be, just let me know if you want me to turn up or down". :lol:
This was a St Patrick's gig and there had been two bands before we went on, with very little bass going... so with my right in my car I was not going to leave it there when I knew I could sound a lot better!

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1401616240' post='2465185']
exactly! :) :thumbsup:

I am sure that some sound guys also think I carry more stuff than necessary at times, when we play gigs with a couple of other bands and I show up, move aside the 1X15" combo provided and stack my two cabs, when I'm going to be DI'd anyway. But when I can carry both cabs, amp head and bass at once, I don't mind doing that and being able to hear myself on stage well and play happily.

[/quote]

Some of those 1x15" combos that show up in the kind of venue we play in are truly wretched things, so I reckon you're wise to do that. I'll often share bass rigs for the sake of quick changeovers and convenience, and they can be a mixed bag, but when I'm playing guitar I'll almost always bring my own.
On the subject of backup, I've never had problems with my bass at gigs, but carrying my little GK MB200 head in my gig bag has saved at least two gigs so far when amps have been playing up.