Why become a member? ×

Replacement Bridge with high saddles

BigRedX

I'm looking for a replacement 4-string bridge which will give me at least 22mm height from the body of the bass to the bottom of the groove on the saddle for the string.

String spacing around 20 mm, and it would be good if the base-plate was at least 85 x 48 mm so that it covers the existing screw holes.

Screw hole positioning doesn't matter I'll plug the old ones and drill new ones as required.

Any suggestions?

Wilkinson BBOT - might need to replace the saddle height adjustment grub screws with slightly longer ones, and may need to adjust the holes in the rear of the bridge that the intonation adjustment screws pass through if they start binding due to the increased angle.

Badass 1 that normally requires routing the body to get the adjustment low enough maybe.

You could also use a brass spacer plate if there is a specific bridge that you prefer which doesn't have the necessary height, and get it(spacer) plated if cosmetics are important.

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton

[quote name='bengreen49' timestamp='1400233899' post='2452056']
Can't think of any that go quite that high. What about making a thick shim out of silver/bright steel for a standard bridge?
[/quote]

Can you suggest someone who could do this for me?

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1400234121' post='2452057']
Have you tried getting longer grub screws for a standard one? Cheaper and easier ..
[/quote]

I asked about this originally and got zero replies. Any suggestions as to where I could get some? The current screws are 12mm long. The replacements need to be 15mm.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1400234224' post='2452061']
Badass 1 that normally requires routing the body to get the adjustment low enough maybe.

You could also use a brass spacer plate if there is a specific bridge that you prefer which doesn't have the necessary height, and get it(spacer) plated if cosmetics are important.
[/quote]

I have a Badass but even with the height at maximum it's lower than the bridge currently fitted.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1400240315' post='2452143']
Can you suggest someone who could do this for me?
[/quote]

It would not be hard to DIY. You could get it water/lazer cut for not much money, it's just a square with rounded corners.

I've just had an idea:

Get a schaller 3d which has a maximum of 15mm but comes with a 3mm spacer in the box. Extra spacers can be ordered to make up your height.

Links:

[url="http://guitar-parts.biz/hp135061/Bassbridge-3D-4.htm?ITServ=C174b8343X14604df74e2XY2590#tz"]http://guitar-parts....df74e2XY2590#tz[/url]

[url="http://guitar-parts.biz/hp122144/Shim-3D-4-3D-8.htm#tz"]http://guitar-parts....D-4-3D-8.htm#tz[/url]

Hope it helps

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1400241318' post='2452164']
Could you shim the neck at the furthest edge of the pocket so that it sloped backwards a bit more?
[/quote]

If it was a bolt-on neck bass I would have already done this with no need to post ;-P

This modification is for a bass I don't play and therefore I want to sell, so I don't want to expend too much time, energy or money on it.

Making a plate to fit under the existing bridge seems to me to be the best option. Since you'll only hopefully see the edges it probably doesn't have to be chromed. Aluminium sounds like a good idea. I don't have anywhere where I live where I can undertake work like this so would need someone to do it for me. I could provide an accurate technical drawing of what is required.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401747331' post='2466567']
Thanks. How do I work out the thread diameter?
[/quote]
When you go to the engineers merchants, a knowledgeable person with a set of thread gauges and a micrometer will work out exactly what you need, and if you can't buy it there and then for a few pence, you will know exactly what you need to order online.

I've made a baseplate for BRX - I've put a few pics below if you're interested:

1: I got a piece of 3mm stainless steel and cut the rectangle slightly oversized on a jigsaw (metalwork blade, very slow speed)
2: Use the bridge to mark the holes and drill holes, slightly oversized
3: Smooth the edges on a linisher until correct dimensions. It gets HOT!

4: Round the corners on a bench grinder. Sparks!

5: Smooth off with fine sandpaper, then polish with an abrasive paste. Here I've used a mop attachment for the lathe:

6: Final polish by hand and it's done:

Edited by Roland Rock

Bridge and baseplate fitted to the bass. All is looking good. Just letting the neck settle down after being without strings for a week and having fitted some new ones that might be slightly heavier than previous. I'll post some photos of everything in situ when I've got the bass properly set up.

Many thanks to Roland Rock for a brilliantly done job.