Why become a member? ×

LMiii gig problem - query

flunkie

Hi All :)

I had first first two gigs with a new band this weekend. I was using an LMiii 10th Anniversary Edition into a Hartke Hydrive 4x10. The First night went well, equipment-wise, but on the second night, during soundcheck, the bass started to cut out. For clarity's sake, what I mean is that, if I played, say, 4 bars of eighth notes, I might lose a bar or a few notes in the middle, but the bass would come back in on its own. The clip light did not come on. I immediately checked the cables, which seemed fine, swapped my instrument cable, changed my active pick-up battery and checked the power cable for issues. Later, when it happened again, I noticed that the power light stayed on throughout. I also checked all of the cables on my pedal board, which seemed fine. All of the cables I have are new Planet Waves, so I'm fairly confident in their integrity. Finally, I plugged straight into the amp, but on occasion the issue still happened. Couldn't do anymore, as the venue wanted us on.

Minor cut-outs continued throughout the set, but only for a second of two here and there. Then, towards the end of a song, late in the set, it happened again, only for longer. I changed basses (I wanted to avoid the spare bass if possible, as it's a lot heavier than my main bass and I have a bad shoulder). The small cut-outs continued throughout the rest of the set.

An important point is that this venue has only just started having bands. There are only two power outlets, so we were daisy chaining extension cables. I've heard that LMiii amps have a self-protection cut-out for voltage variations, but I assume that would turn the amp off, rather than leaving the power light on?

Luckily, the band was very understanding, but I don't want it happening again. I have a spare amp (LH500), but really like the LMiii sound and have it well set-up with a VT Character pedal.

Does anyone have any ideas how to proceed? I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the technical side of gear and power supply etc. Thanks :)

If you've tested everything else, I'd test the cable from amp to cab. And maybe the connectors in the cab itself.

Interestingly, valve amps aren't so sensitive to voltage fluctuations as their capacitors hold charge. Which is why they stay on for a while after you've switched them off. I found that out when I played at an outside venue with a generator which kept on going on and off. The lights would flutter, my amp would switch itself off, but the guitarists just kept on going, totally oblivious to the power problem.

Edited by gjones

I have experience similar problem before on a gig when using other band's bass amp. Is a Trace Elliot combo which sounded great but keep cutting off on my first 2 songs but then it stays on ok for the rest.

It cuts off so no sound is produce but signal is still sending to the desk. So basically I can't hear myself on stage but the audience can .....

[quote name='flunkie' timestamp='1399886890' post='2448535']
[b]An important point is that this venue has only just started having bands. There are only two power outlets, so we were daisy chaining extension cables. I've heard that LMiii amps have a self-protection cut-out for voltage variations, but I assume that would turn the amp off, rather than leaving the power light on?[/b]

Luckily, the band was very understanding, but I don't want it happening again. I have a spare amp (LH500), but really like the LMiii sound and have it well set-up with a VT Character pedal.

Does anyone have any ideas how to proceed? I'm not particularly knowledgeable on the technical side of gear and power supply etc. Thanks :)
[/quote]
You'll only get so many amps (as in amperes) from 2 power sockets. Your amp isn't getting fed enough power & will cut out. If the venue want to put on bands, they're gonna need some proper power supply before there's a fire due to the 2 supplies being overloaded.

In order to diagnose you need to run it at gig volume in a different venue or at rehearsal space, with your cab and another one, and different cables. This will help determine is its power, cables or something in your cab.

I had a similar issue with my LMII which unfortunately proved expensive. My head fell out of the car boot during unload. Only a couple of feet in its padded gig bag. I was a little perturbed but all seems ok and damage free so I though no more of it. During gig my nap cut out a couple of times, came back on then went off for good. So had to play rest through the PA.

Tried it out at home next day for a few hours and it was fine so I put it down to dodgy power and that the protection circuits kicked in. Next rehearsal after about 20mins it cut out again, came back after leaving off for 5mins then cut out again. So I knew something was seriously wring with the head - then I remembered the drop!

Took it in for servicing and had it diagnosed. Due to the nature of the amp with micro, surface mounted components the only course of action was a whole new main board, which wasn't made any more (being a discontinued model) and they had to source a refurb board.

Cost me about £200 to get fixed!

I hope this isn't your problem, but just heed these words as a warning and be prepared for the worst.

PS as an aside - During this time I had to use my backup combo, an ageing, bulky and heavy Warwick CCL250 to get me through a couple of gigs. Good job I kept hold of it. But since this incident it's been in the back of my mind that the markbass could go wrong again, and I need a decent backup, or use a new amp and relegate the MB to backup duty. As useful as the combo was, it takes up too much space in my small flat, so I'm looking at getting another small head and selling the combo.